Two Camp Hosts Needed at Onslow Beach Camp Lejeune

More
12 years 3 months ago #9310 by happy-goodman
WE would love to be the ones to be new host and would hope we could do as well a job as i read on you have done. Maybe see you soon. Right now we are snowbirds in San Antonio at Lackland where the lack of a host is a big problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9317 by cheldreth
Well, I really enjoyed the job and leaving again on a military installation was a joy as well. The job is like any other job. You have good days and not so good days but on the average, there was much more positive than otherwise.

If you are customer service oriented, then the job will be enjoyable. Some people you can never please but they are such a minority.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

More
12 years 3 months ago #9326 by eliesharley
Curt

We have just started fultime and interested in how you find out where camphost position are located (openings). We have a 05 Tiffin Allegro Bus and have been camping for over 3 yrs and now going for the great life. Retired MSgt USAF and DW (Carol) would perfer military installations. Any suggestions and comments since you are a seasoned pro. Appreciate any comments

Thank You

Ray

More
12 years 3 months ago #9328 by cheldreth
Well, I have been called a lot of things in my life but "seasoned pro" is not one of them.

Many times you need to be in the right place at the right time. I was staying at Onslow when I got the word that a camp host was needed way back in 2007 right after my final retirement.

This site is very good for alerting people to open positions. There is no standard procedure for recruiting camp hosts and at military campgrounds the duties and compensation are unique to each campground.

Larry, our webmaster here, is always looking for people to work for him so I know he will have read your post and he can give you some good information.

Workkamper.com is a good source and an online subscription is well worth it. In 2007 I saw an advertisement on that site for a hosting position at 7th Ranch Campground right beside the Custer battlefield. They interviewed me over the phone. Because of my knowledge of military, civil war and Custer history, I was hired over the phone. I was shocked and had to turn it down because I was on the east coast and was not prepared to go to Montana. In retrospect, I probably should have taken it. I just did not know then what I know now about full-timing and camp hosting.

If you will look at the sources I have mentioned, I think that you will find lots of very interesting opportunities at great locations.

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

More
12 years 3 months ago #9339 by rvgrammy1953
Curt is so right....and all his reference places are great, but being in the right place at the right time is how we got our camp hosting position....

A few tips to remember about being a camp host:

1. Ya' got to be a "people person". If you are one who sits in your RV/camper watching the "tube" or on the laptop, camp hosting isn't for you.
People like to see you out and about and keeping the place neat and tidy and available to answer questions.

2. Very few camp hosting positions are just being a "gate keeper"....most require you to do some cleaning, raking, picking up trash, meet and greet folks as they come into the CG, after hours check-ins to include taking of the rental fee, and most campgrounds have a clause in your contract that states "all other duties requested by staff", which could be almost anything else related to the CG you are hosting at....i.e. social director, travel/site-seeing organizer, etc....so get the details when applying...

Just a couple of tips...others may chime in here with more...

Good luck and happy trails....

Time to create page: 0.439 seconds