Cedar Key - Florida

More
15 years 7 months ago #4224 by monkey44
Cedar Key - Florida was created by monkey44
Okay, I'll start one ...

Cedar Key Florida is right on the bay between Tampa and Tallahassee. Nice place, has a National Wildlife Refuge ... there's a couple state parks about 40-50 miles back, but right in Cedar Key is a small county park. $5 a night ... good for an overnight only so you can see the area, because I'd never use the restroom facilities -- even in an emergency. And the park itself ain't much -- but is worth an overnight site to save a 50 miles trip each way ...

The area itself, and the beach town of Cedar Key is worth the trip ... but needs only a day to do it. It's down off Hwy 41 ... very nice drive and I've gone several times just because it is so "quaint" ... There's an old "hermit' kind of guy there "Pelical Bob' that feeds and cares for injured pelicans on the pier -- NPS fights him about 'touching' pelicans -- but finally gave up -- but a pelican just walks right up to him when it's injured or has fishing line or hooks entangled and let's him 'fix' them ... very unusual relationship --

Town is "quaint" for sure ... couple nice restaurants. Some nice walks in the NWR too ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #4531 by hootgipper
Replied by hootgipper on topic Re: Cedar Key - Florida
Are there any electrical or water hook ups at the Cedar Key location?

More
15 years 5 months ago #4533 by gesuhan
Replied by gesuhan on topic Re: Cedar Key - Florida
There is no camp ground at Cedar Key, just a parking lot. There is a campground called Cedar Key Sunset Isle, Hwy 24 some 9 tenths of a mile from Cedar Key. Another called Rainbow Country, some six miles from Cedar.

More
15 years 5 months ago #4535 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: Cedar Key - Florida
It's been a few years, but I believe I recall that county park with NO HUs ... but you won't want to be there long enough for that to matter - just go in 'dry' for the night. I only offered it as an overnight stop to see that C-K area because it's so far off the highways ... fifty miles or so one way.

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds