Need info on I395 and 295 or 495 DC Area

More
14 years 11 months ago #5878 by djenson
I will be traveling from Fort Monroe, VA to Fort Meade, MD and would like to know if anyone can advise me on best route, also tunnels and other things to avoid in this area.

I am from the flat open spaces of North Dakota and don't care to much for this big city driving. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #5881 by cheldreth
You going to have a somewhat traumatic experience depending on the time of day you chose to pass through that area. As a rule of thumb, I try to do everything in my power to avoid the experience. The traffic there is about as bad as it gets anywhere in the country. My advice to is to plan on passing through the area in the middle of the night. Even then the traffic will be heavy. From early morning until 10am is rush hour. From about 3pm until 7 pm is the outgoing rush hour. Expect long delays as accidents can cause huge backups. I am not trying to scare you, but to let you know that the trip can be exciting.

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 11 months ago #5882 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Need info on I395 and 295 or 495 DC Area
I just pass that area around 2 am 5/2/09. The woodrow Wilson
bridge turns from four lanes into a quick one lane.
If you'r at the right lane your are ok, but if you'r at the fourth lane like me, its a night mare. There is lots of construction goin on at the bridge. Also the toll is more now.The JFK Memorial is $23.00. The Francis Scott Key Bridge is $9.00.The Delaware Turnpike is$7.00. Like above try to be there around midnight.
Good luck and safe travel.

More
14 years 11 months ago #5884 by djenson
Thanks for the warnings and info. I have decided to reroute and go on route 301 to the east. This is based on recommendations I received from the RV talk forum (Which is the former Sunnybrook Forum).

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds