NW Coastal Route / US-101

More
16 years 6 months ago #1803 by Mustang03
We're about halfway down the Oregon coast now, following US-101 on our annual snowbird migration. Although this is our first time on this particular route, we're of the opinion this is a trip worth doing again. Good scenery, the weather now is cool but sunny and clear, and there are a lot of good campgrounds liberally scattered along the entire route. Washington and Oregon do an especially good job with their state park systems. Spent some time a couple days ago watching whales about 100 yards off shore near Depoe Bay. Plus tidepools, lighthouses, dunes, shops, fishing, etc. etc. Will drag this out until the weather pushes us further south.

B.N. Lavender
Capt. (LDO) USMC (Ret.)
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #1805 by monkey44
I'm jealous !! My wife and I made that coastal trip several times when we lived in California -- you are traveling in one of my favorite places in the country ...

If you continue south, and decide to go inland around the Bay area traffic -- take Hwy 49 through the gold country starting in Placerville and head south through Jackson, San Andreas, and Angels Camp -- we lived in that area for ten years. Don't miss Colombia -- a re-creation of a gold mining town ... nice drive and plenty of camping.

More
11 years 11 months ago #9901 by Bjudib60
we are reverse snowbirds and have traveled in all 48 states. However the coastal route 101 from northern Californai to Washington state is our favorite. The summers are cool and sunny and we enjoy the people. There is so much to see and do along this route. Enjoy.

More
10 years 7 months ago #11966 by sscalph
Replied by sscalph on topic NW Coastal Route / US-101
We are planning to take US101 leaving the Seattle area mid September. What kind of weather can we expect?

Steve and Diana
With our amazing traveling chocolate Lab, Buddy.

Time to create page: 0.399 seconds