US 441 thru the Smokey Mtn Nat'l Park?

More
10 years 7 months ago #11999 by Hodge
For an upcoming trip from FL up to the Gatlinburg TN area, am planning on driving thru the Smokey Mtn Nat'l Park on US 441 (pulling a 38 ft 5th wheel). Can anyone comment on this highway as to road condition, grades, etc.? The boring option appears to be thru Chatanooga/Knoxville on the interstate. Thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #12004 by ErnieT
Did that trip May. 35 foot class A with a 20 foot trailer on behind. I left Jax Florid took 95 north to 26 west to Ashevill. Then took 40 and got off on 411 to Seviervill wich is north of Gatinburg. Do NOT get off on 321 and take it over. Bad road. I road my bike while I was there on 441. Would not recomend 5th wheel on that road.

Ernie

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #12268 by Chiefe9
You didn't state when you'll be traveling through so will reply even though it's been awhile since your post. We live near Cherokee so travel across the park every time we travel to Pigeon Forge. I tow a 33' fifth wheel with a diesel truck. The speed limit is 35-45 mph so no problem at all for us. Even though curvy and the mountain is steep the road is plenty wide for RV's. However, if you break down hope you are near a pull-off. If you're pulling with a gas truck it will be more strenuous. It is a beautiful drive in both directions. There is a nice pull-off at the top of the mountain with parking for RV's. Beautiful view and they have restrooms. Our picture (avator?) was taken at the rest stop.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Chiefe9.

More
9 years 10 months ago #12877 by dddlin
How is camping in the park. We have a 38 ft class A. How far is the park from Ashville?

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds