Check Engine Light

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #16083 by greyhound73772
I own a 2002 Bounder Diesel with a 300hp Cummins engine. I experienced a loss of power when climbing hills and the check engine light would come on. The Freightliner/Cummins technician blamed it on black algae in the fuel system. The fuel system has been cleaned and additive is put in the diesel to prevent black algae build up. The power loss has quit, but when decelerating the check engine light comes on until some acceleration is applied. Does anyone have a suggestion on what causes this and how to correct it?
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by greyhound73772.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #16084 by Hank85713
Replied by Hank85713 on topic Check Engine Light
do you run a scan gauge or anything? If so you can clear the codes and that should keep it from returning. Since it does it on decel it probably is just a memory problem in the computer.

The algae is from using old fuel most time. Diesel has basically a 1 year life then it needs to be used drained. We used diesel in the UAV we provided the army and this info came from chevron at the time since we stored the fuel in 55 gal drums and sometimes the mil fuel truck. We didnt use a lot on the flights thus the long sitting in containers. On the fuel trucks they got a recirculate almost daily to get any water and keep it out.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #16085 by greyhound73772
Replied by greyhound73772 on topic Check Engine Light
Thanks! I know the technician did a scan gauge, but not sure if they erased memory. Didn't know about the 1 year life span on diesel, but keep a full tank when motorhome is sitting for a couple of month.
Thanks again.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by greyhound73772.

More
6 years 10 months ago #16086 by Hank85713
Replied by Hank85713 on topic Check Engine Light
www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/...m-storage-diesel.pdf

not from chevron but a reference to storage. I am pretty sure but not positive you can get a scan gauge 2 for your rv. and it will monitor all engine vitals that you have plus clear codes when they pop up.

More
6 years 10 months ago #16087 by greyhound73772
Replied by greyhound73772 on topic Check Engine Light
I read the link and it was good information. The service dept. at Freightliner/Okla. City blame it on biodiesel. Trying to buy non-biodiesel is like trying to buy 100% gasoline. I'll get me a scan gauge and learn how to use it.
Thanks again!

Time to create page: 0.529 seconds