HELP - WHY IS THE OIL DIPSTICK HARD TO PUSH IN

More
8 years 8 months ago #13892 by JCSme2008
I am very OCD'ish when it comes to maintenance and try everything I can to prevent any careless breakdowns.

When I check my engine oil, it seems the dipstick catches about 3/4 of the way in, making oil checking frustrating. It takes me 10-15 minutes of turning and twisting the cable stick to find a sweet spot before the dipstick will actually go all the way in.

To me this seems wrong and I feel like I am either doing it wrong or something is not right.

I researched other RV forums and others are having the same issue, but no resolve. So I am posting here as we all share a common Discovery theme.

I have the CAT C7 engine.

2005 FLEETWOOD DISCOVERY 38U

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #13893 by Hank85713
I drive a school bus and have the same issue with the oil and trans fluid dipsticks. Seems they are not a straight shot to the pans and have some twists and turns that need to be accommodated. What most do is not pull it out completely. If engine cold from overnight oil will have settled and be at wherever its going to be. Trans fluid same so check when cold then when checked hot see if it is still in range. We check cold and generally it reads a little high but drops when hot.

But it does seem its because the tubes are turned and not straight shots.

More
8 years 8 months ago #13902 by JCSme2008
Hank, that wont work for me, because it gets stuck during the last few inches of pushing the dipstick back in.

I did get a detailed answer from another Discovery Owner who called CAT technician (see below).

Post from the other Discovery Owner: The problem appears to be that Fleetwood, when they designed the extension of the filler tube from the tube provided by CAT (very short and had to reach all the way to the back of the coach and up to where it is accessed) used an extension large enough to fit over the CAT tube. This presents an obstruction due to the dipstick as it hits the lip of the smaller (diameter) Cat tube - just about 3/4 + to the way of being fully seated. (perhaps a design where the Fleetwood tube is smaller and fits into the CAT would help). I improved my situation a little by filing the end of the dipstick to minimize any interference - still have minor interference but much easier to re-insert the dipstick.

2005 FLEETWOOD DISCOVERY 38U

Time to create page: 0.396 seconds