CAN I TOW MY RAM 1500 PICK-UP TRUCK W/ M CLASS ???

More
8 years 9 months ago #13826 by JCSme2008
Please help I am confused ????

CURRENT: 2005 FLEETWOOD DISCOVERY 38U
2005 DODGE RAM 1500 QUAD CAB

BACKGROUND: After weeks of research online and watching YouTube video clips. I was convienced that we could not tow our RAM 1500 truck. Last week we saw 2 Class "A" diesel pushers towing a full size truck. One was a FORD F150 and the other was what I have RAM 1500. The both appeared to have a BlueOx set up or something similar.

QUESTIONS: Can it be done ? If so how ? Please help especially if you done it or are doing it ?

2005 FLEETWOOD DISCOVERY 38U

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #13827 by Hank85713
It will all depend on the type of transmission. If a manual probably, but will depend on the owners manual.

There was a guy last month up in utah, big fancy hi $$ class A, had a goldwing on a lift and towed a SB 1500 ram, with a razor or something in the back. Did not look at the truck just the toys. Also will depend on the tow rating of the rv plus the rating on the hitch assembly. a 1500 will be close to 5K+, I weighed my ranger 2wd, manual sc and it was almost 4000lbs and the newer trucks weigh more.

You may need to go to the good sam site and ask there in the towing section or at a minimum to the dodge or fleetwood sites. Also more info on the rv would help, gas or diesel.

More
8 years 9 months ago #13828 by JCSme2008

Hank85713 wrote: It will all depend on the type of transmission. If a manual probably, but will depend on the owners manual.

There was a guy last month up in utah, big fancy hi $$ class A, had a goldwing on a lift and towed a SB 1500 ram, with a razor or something in the back. Did not look at the truck just the toys. Also will depend on the tow rating of the rv plus the rating on the hitch assembly. a 1500 will be close to 5K+, I weighed my ranger 2wd, manual sc and it was almost 4000lbs and the newer trucks weigh more.

You may need to go to the good sam site and ask there in the towing section or at a minimum to the dodge or fleetwood sites. Also more info on the rv would help, gas or diesel.

My RV is diesel 330HP with a 10K pound hitch and my RAM 1500 is an automatic.

More
8 years 9 months ago #13829 by JCSme2008
Found my answer.

MY OWNERS MANUAL (verbatim): Two-wheel drive vehicles with automatic transmission may be towed with four wheels on the ground for a distance of 15 miles or less, as long as the speed doesn't exceed 30 mph. If the vehicle has to be towed more than 15 miles place rear wheels on a towing dolly. If any vehicle is to be towed with the front wheels raised, the ignition key must be turned to the "OFF" (???) position to unlock the steering column and a steering wheel clamping device designed for towing must be us or damage to the steering column lock may occur.

- Personally I think there is a type-o. I think they meant "turned to the "ON" position", because "OFF" position will lock the steering wheel. Then you would need to disconnect the battery to keep the battery from draining.
- This was good information, but not the route I want to go. I was trying to avoid having a trailer or dolly for convenience. If so, and pressed, I might just go with the dolly for our 2013 VW Jetta.
- My assumption is the trucks we saw were probably manual transmission.

More
8 years 9 months ago #13830 by floridakamper
Remco is a good source of info on recreational towing behind a motorhome. I just took a look at the 2005 Ram info. You have to input whether you have the big V8 or the small one, and whether the tranny is 5 speed or 6 speed. It looks to me like best case is that you have to add a transmission lube pump, which they sell to be able to tow 4 down. Take a look at: Remco
The following user(s) said Thank You: JCSme2008

Time to create page: 0.428 seconds