Tire Pressure?

More
10 years 6 days ago #12802 by Hodge
Tire Pressure? was created by Hodge
Just put new Goodyear G614's on my 2014 BH 3260EL 5'er after a bad experience with my original TOWMAX tires. I know many of you have the 614 tires, and my question concerns the correct cold psi inflation pressure to maintain. My 5'er weighs a little over 11,000 lbs dry weight (dual 6000 lb axles). I've read conflicting opinions between always inflating to max pressure for the tire (110 psi) regardless of weight on the tires, to using Goodyear's tire inflation guide based on highest weight on the tires per axle. In the second case, 95 psi is more than adequate for my 5'er, even when loaded. The Camping World that installed the tires recommended 90 psi which I felt was a little light. However, some articles say max psi regardless of RV weight. So, would welcome some sage advice from those of you who have more experience running similar tires.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 days ago #12807 by Hodge
Replied by Hodge on topic Tire Pressure?
Oh well....thanks anyway.

More
10 years 8 hours ago - 10 years 8 hours ago #12821 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Tire Pressure?
Go to www.RV.net -- that's .net not .com

Ask that question, you'll get a lot of answers -- you can pick from those opinions :) I have no clue myself. Good Luck
Last edit: 10 years 8 hours ago by monkey44.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stanbnv, Hodge

More
8 years 10 months ago #13811 by FastEagle
Replied by FastEagle on topic Tire Pressure?
OK, this is the correct procedure to follow.

You have done what is commonly called "plus sized" your tires. The correct inflation pressure (s) for your original equipment tires is found on the trailer's certification label. I'm guessing that you had ST235/80R16E tires and the tire placard says to air them to 80 PSI. Look on the tire sidewall and find it's maximum load capacity - it will be somewhere between 3420# & 3520#. Now find the Goodyear tire inflation table for the G614 tires and see how much inflation is needed to equal the load capacity of the OE tires at 80 psi. That amount will be your new recommended - correct - inflation pressures for the G614 tires. Higher is OK, lower is not OK.

Sorry I'm so late. I don't come here often anymore - quit traveling.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds