Satellite Internet and Streaming Video

More
11 years 11 months ago #10001 by skyking8
For those of you who have a sat. internet setup, I am wondering if it's possible to easily stream videos. I was thinking of getting something like a Roku to do Netflix streaming.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #10002 by monkey44
Rick, are you asking actual satellite web service, or hot-spot service like lots of us have?

More
11 years 11 months ago #10004 by wb4zit
I turned off my Hughesnet service back in January. Unless it has improved dramatically since then I think you would find that any of the satellite internet systems are way too slow to do streaming video. Also, even if the connection was fast enough for video you would probably use up your daily download limit in about an hour or so and would be throttled back to dial-up speeds. Back in January my connection was so slow I could not even play a 5 minute CNN.com news clip without it stopping to buffer several times.

Mel Linville
US Army MSG (Ret)
2020 Ram 2500 Hemi and shopping for a cheap, used, small 5th wheel

More
11 years 11 months ago #10006 by gesuhan
I currently have Hughes net. Neighbor has Wild Blue. Brother has spot beamed Hughes net. Neither of us can stream video, way too slow. Only the very expensive Hughes Net service can download video. Call them, they can tell you which level of service is available for that type of downloading.

dbentley

More
11 years 11 months ago #10036 by skyking8
Other limits aside, I never considered the issue of eating up the bandwidth. Looks like I'll have to stick with Red Box. Thanks for the help.

Time to create page: 0.404 seconds