Red Sox Fan

More
16 years 10 months ago #1151 by AdventPreacher
Red Sox Fan was created by AdventPreacher
I have been a fan of the Red Sox for as long as I can remember. No, wait a minute, I was a Yankees fan to start out with. Back in the 1950's there were very few television stations here in the state of Maine, and those that broadcasted sports aired the NYY. The Red Sox were unmarketable in far northern Maine. As a result, the farther north you grew up in Maine, the more likely you were to be a Yankees fan. All true Red Sox fans have two favorite teams in baseball: 1. the Red Sox, and 2. Whoever is playing the Yankees. New York is the team the Red Sox nation loves to hate. I wonder if George Steinbrenner ran for Governor of New York, would he win? Perhaps! In all of our travels, we search for the Red Sox, or for the Yankees, on the radio. One brings us almost as much pleasure to listen to as the other.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 10 months ago #1152 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: Red Sox Fan
maine air has gotten to your head, you said "All true Red Sox fans have two favorite teams in baseball: 1. the Red Sox, and 2. Whoever is playing the Yankees.

Should be: "2. ... and whoever beats the yankees."

Been a Sox fan since the 50's as well. Then moved to the west coast and became a Dodger fan ... but never forgot the Sox -- returned to the east coast in '91 and picked up the Sox again ... a great team to watch -- never out of it.

Two things this season: Play Cora instead of Lugo, and give Pena away for free to some other team ...

More
16 years 10 months ago #1156 by AdventPreacher
Replied by AdventPreacher on topic Re: Red Sox Fan
Willie Mo will occasionally contribute. Maybe you're right. I was disappointed that they would pay so much money for Dice-K. He has some marvelous moments, doesn't he? If the sox management stays true to form, as soon as his averages prove his worth, they will trade him (probably to the Yankees!). I am waiting to watch the annual slide downhill following the all-star game. They can be so frustrating to follow. But, hey, they provide the maximum entertainment for the dollar. I have never had the opportunity to see a spring trainning game down in Florida. This coming winter, my wife and I are planning our first "snowbird" winter season and hope to get to see one.

More
16 years 10 months ago #1157 by Navyzone
Replied by Navyzone on topic Re: Red Sox Fan
many years ago when I was stationed at the shipyard in Boston I remember a game at Fenway. Gary Geiger hit a grand slam inside the park home run. Truly a historic event. The Sox went on to lose the game. Enuf said.

More
16 years 10 months ago #1164 by monkey44
Sox do lose, but always with style ... and they're never out of the game, even tho they don't wlsays pull it out...

Dice K -- don't know why any team pays as much as they do for players -- it takes the sport out of the game and make it about $$$ instead.

More
16 years 7 months ago #1763 by monkey44
Here we goooooooooooooooo again -- Sox letting every one catch up and pass in the final week or so ... What is it with this team. IF you wrote a book, every season would be the same so you'd only need one chapter

Time to create page: 0.478 seconds