Dinghy towing

More
12 years 4 weeks ago #9861 by Suzq
Dinghy towing was created by Suzq
We are considering what car to buy for towing behind the motorhome, four wheels down. Looking for economy, and low gas mileage. Anyone have advice? Tired of the tow dolly but love our Honda Element.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 weeks ago #9862 by gesuhan
Replied by gesuhan on topic Re: Dinghy towing
Have you checked to see if the element can be towed on all four? I understand there are Honda's that can be. Saturn was, but their no longer in business.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 4 weeks ago #9865 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: Dinghy towing
In looking at the 2012 Dinghy Towing guide the Element cannot be towed. Only Hondas listed are the CR-V and the Fit. We see more Honda CR-V's being towed than just about anything else and the mileage is listed as 22/30. We still tow our 02 4WD Envoy as it is the only SUV with a transfer case, no need to keep key in ignition, no fuses to pull. They no longer make the Envoy and believe last year made was 08 or 09. Not easy to find a 4WD in the south but if you are serious about one a dealer will find one for you.

More
12 years 4 weeks ago #9868 by subldo
Replied by subldo on topic Re: Dinghy towing
We pull an 08 Honda CRV. Car gets 32 mpg on the highway, 24 to 26 running around town. the biggest expense is getting the tow equipment. we spent over $3000, which included the roadmaster tow hitch, tow package for the honda and a even brake supplemental brake for the car. The car weighs just under 3500 lbs.

More
12 years 4 weeks ago #9873 by cdrcos
Replied by cdrcos on topic Re: Dinghy towing
Before you pay that $3500, try looking on craigslist.com and eBay.

I found all the towing gear for towing a 2003 Mazda pickup I bought specifically to be a toad (manual transmission) on craigslist for $250. Paid my local garage $90 to install.

Got the Brake Buddy braking system (like new) on eBay for $173. Only real cost incurred at RV dealer was to wire the Mazda for towing lights and that was $235. Voila: total cost $748 :laugh:

Joe & Barb
2016 Winnebago Vista 31KE
Shoreview, Minnesota
Sun City Center, Florida

More
12 years 4 weeks ago #9875 by floridakamper
Replied by floridakamper on topic Re: Dinghy towing
We've towed a 2006 Saturn Vue since new and it's a great toad. Looking around campgrounds, seems others think so too. Here is one I saw on our local Craigslist, already set up for towing.
jacksonville.craigslist.org/rvs/2970496043.html

Time to create page: 0.500 seconds