BANKRUPTED RV MANUFACTURERS ???

More
12 years 1 week ago - 12 years 1 week ago #9842 by JCSme2008
I am near (within 6 months) the final stages of purchasing a CLASS "A" RV. I have spent the last 2 years reading, researching, and asking questions leading me to this moment. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I don't want to make a bad decision or purchase.

I have searched these forums and haven't found any discussion about BANKRUPT RV MANUFACTURERS. My gut tells me to stay away from ALFA because of some of the problems owners had with trying to contact the manufacturer. I have researched RV TRADER and found numerous NATIONAL RV's for sale, but recently found out that they went BANKRUPT. I was thinking of purchasing one of the National Tropical, until now.

So I dug a little deeper and wanted to find out if there were any more manufacturers that went BANKRUPT, only to find out that there are some that are hanging on by a thread and decided to stop PRODUCTION.

So my questions are
- Does anyone own a RV from a manufacturer that went BANKRUPT ?
- Have you ran into any difficulties (i.e. parts, maintenance, etc.) ?

www.everything-about-rving.com/what-rv-m...out-of-business.html

www.fulltime-rving.com/what-rv-manufactu...out-of-business.html

2005 FLEETWOOD DISCOVERY 38U
Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by JCSme2008.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 week ago #9844 by monkey44
Have no info about this - but after the guys on this site, RV.net is a great site for exactly this info. It has a category for "Class A" as well. Lots of great knowledge there ... although, as always, watch who and what you believe directly. Would be a very good source of "what to follow up" on this subject.

NO manufacturers on the site, only 'owners and users' - so you get real life experiences and not "sales hype" ...

More
12 years 1 week ago - 12 years 1 week ago #9846 by johnandmari
As Monkey said, RV.Net is good, but even better (IMHO) is the ‘Owners Forum’ on IRV2.com.
Regarding any ‘orphan’, you need to remember that most of the components of a given RV are available ‘off-the shelf’. The chassis and drive-train are supplied, as are all of the fixtures, appliances, furniture, etc. The ‘fiberglass’ is all that most manufacturers make/supply, and that can be taken care by most good body shops.
Continued good luck on your search!

John
Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by johnandmari.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 1 week ago #9848 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: BANKRUPTED RV MANUFACTURERS ???

johnandmari wrote: As Monkey said, RV.Net is good, but even better (IMHO) is the ‘Owners Forum’ on IRV2.com.
Regarding any ‘orphan’, you need to remember that most of the components of a given RV are available ‘off-the shelf’. The chassis and drive-train are supplied, as are all of the fixtures, appliances, furniture, etc. The ‘fiberglass’ is all that most manufacturers make/supply, and that can be taken care by most good body shops.
Continued good luck on your search!

John

x2
they are just assemblers, most of the the piece parts are out there pretty easily

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 1 week ago #9849 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: BANKRUPTED RV MANUFACTURERS ???
Might try going to several RV repair shops and ask them what RV's they are having difficulty getting what they need for repairs. Depending on where you are if you get a chance stop at Lazy Days in Seffner, Fl. as they are one of the largest RV repair shops we have ever seen or heard about. We do not go there as we have been Tiffin RV owners for the last 9 years and Tiffin is still in business in Red Bay, Al. so you can always go there if you need repairs. Check out some of the Tiffin RV's as they only make Class A and we have the same one now since 2007 and have not needed to make any trips to Red Bay, Al. as they make a quality RV. Small stuff we can take care of on our own or our local RV technician who is a personal friend.

More
12 years 6 days ago #9853 by JCSme2008
Thank you for all the responses, they really help. I will subdue my initial concerns and not panic. :unsure:

I am getting very close to purchase. Once I narrowed and purchased, I can't wait to join you guys on the open road. :woohoo:

I will keep everyone posted on the purchase, I plan to take my friend who owns a 38' Fleetwood Boiunder Diesel Pusher. B)

Jack

2005 FLEETWOOD DISCOVERY 38U

Time to create page: 0.403 seconds