National Security & Federal Lands Protection Act

More
12 years 1 month ago #9841 by cdrcos
one of the members (retired military) of another forum I frequent, posted this warning to fellow RV's that I thought should be repeated. I intend to contact my congressmen about it:

National Security and Federal Lands Protection Act, HR 1505
« on: April 20, 2012, 04:37:12 AM »
My intention in posting this information is to make members aware of an issue that may affect our lifestyle and give them a chance to voice their opinions to their representatives. It is not meant to start a political discussion for or against a particular party, candidate or elected official.

This is another issue, like the increase in diesel fuel tax, allows Congress to make a bad decision when it comes to the RV lifestyle. End result is that Customs and Border Patrol agencies will have full freedom to build roads and trails, run ATV's, construct fences, outposts and other structures as they see fit on any National Park Service land within 100 miles of a United States border. This encompasses 54 National Park Service areas. Consider this: If you winter in Texas, the National Parks in the Rio Grande Valley fall under these rules. They could destroy Carlsbad Caverns.

Here is what I sent to my Congress-Critters, urging them to vote against this and similar bills:
Representative Robert Bishop of Utah introduced H.R. 1505 on April 13, 2011.

The National Security and Federal Lands Protection Act would prohibit both the Interior and Agriculture Secretaries from taking action on public lands which impede the border security activities of the Secretary of Homeland Security. The Secretary of Homeland Security would have immediate access to any public land managed by the federal government in order to conduct activities that assist in securing the border. The Secretary of Homeland Security would issue a specific waiver of certain laws regarding sections of the international border between the United States and Mexico and between the United States and Canada, which would apply to all sections of the international land and maritime borders of the United States.

H.R. 1505 is only one of several pending bills that similarly threaten national parks and other park, refuge, and wilderness lands under the jurisdiction of the Secretaries of the Interior and Agriculture in the name of border security. For example, Senators McCain (R-AZ) and Kyl (R-AZ) and Representative Quayle (R-AZ) are sponsoring amendments to the authorization legislation for the Department of Homeland Security that would also have devastating impacts on national parks and other Federally protected lands and are unwarranted for national security.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano testified on March 8, 2012, that the bill "is unnecessary, and it's bad policy." And officials from the U.S. Border Patrol testified against the bill in Congress on July 8, 2011, explaining that "U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) enjoys a close working relationship with the Department of Interior (DOI) and Department of Agriculture (USDA) that allows us to fulfill our border enforcement responsibilities while respecting and enhancing the environment. We respect the missions of these agencies, and we recognize the importance of preserving the American landscape. Our agencies have formed a number of agreements that allow us to carry out both of these missions. CBP believes that efforts to reduce the number of illegal aliens crossing the border have lessened environmental degradation and have assisted with recovery of damaged resources, and we are fully committed to continuing our cooperative relationships with DOI and USDA to further this good work."

In light of the interagency collaboration and achievements made under existing authorities, and the testimony of the very agencies this legislation is expected to enhance, this harmful legislation is not needed.

I urge you, when the opportunity presents itself, to vote against this and other similar bills that would destroy some of America's greatest resources.

Respectfully,

Joe

Joe & Barb
2016 Winnebago Vista 31KE
Shoreview, Minnesota
Sun City Center, Florida

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.396 seconds