SOS recipes

More
12 years 2 months ago #9664 by belgique
SOS recipes was created by belgique
On the mess hall thread I questioned if any served REAL SOS (i.e., real hamburger, layer of grease, etc.) I love SOS. I know it is evil, but anything that tastes good is evil.

Anyone care to share their recipe for REAL SOS? Anyone that mentions the jarred dried beef as an ingredient gets disqualified. My bride (of several decades) does an great one, but she is Belgian so what does she know about mess halls? I want one from a '60's era mess Sergeant.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9667 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: SOS recipes
Curious?

Why would jarred chipped beef diqualify it. Sure had it plenty of times that way - some not all that bad either. Different strokes ...

More
12 years 2 months ago #9669 by belgique
Replied by belgique on topic Re: SOS recipes
Fist this is an attempt at light humor. I'm a geezer and pining for the days when the Army Mess Sgt made the real, stick-to-your-bones-all-day stuff. If there was a pot of the chipped beef and one of the greasy hamburger, I'd go for the latter. If there was just chipped beef, I'd dig in.

The other purist debate would be toast or biscuits? I was raised a toast man at Ft Bragg.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9670 by stanbnv
Replied by stanbnv on topic Re: SOS recipes
We used to call the chipped beef creamed foreskins when I was in the Navy, (1962 - 66) and the hamburger stuff was SOS, but never saw the hamburger stuff in the Coast Guard mess decks (1971 - 97), only chipped beef. I prefer toast. Anyone remember beans and cornbread for breakfast on Saturday morning? (UCK)

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #9671 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: SOS recipes
Yup - me 2, was at Sub-Base Pearl Harbor '62 - '66 and remember we often got annual award at the Sub-Base Pearl Harbor for 'best mess hall' ...

And we got the 'chipped beef' style ... always thought that was the only one. Seen it both ways since tho, in various bases and civilian. IT was always toast in the mess hall, as I recall. But is often biscuits in civilian places.

Funny thing, when we were in-service, we often hear guys complaining about the chow - how bad it was. Can't wait to get back to good ol'e home cooking.

Now, there's a thread running hear that tells us if retired can eat at the mess hall, and lots of guys wanting to eat there. OLD habits die hard - or is it the great chow ... :laugh: :woohoo: :lol:
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by monkey44.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9675 by melbin
Replied by melbin on topic Re: SOS recipes
here is a good one
Army SOS
• Ingredients
o 1 pound lean ground beef
o 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
o ¾ teaspoon salt
o ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
o 4 tablespoons flour
o 2 to 2¼ cups milk
o ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• Directions
1. In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook ground beef until lo longer pink, stirring and breaking up with a spoon as needed.
2. Stir in beef bouillon granules, salt, pepper and flour; cook for 2 to 3 minutes until flour is absorbed.
3. Gradually stir in milk and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened.
4. Serve immediately over hot biscuits or toasted bread.

o Yields: 4 Servings
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge3398

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds