U.S. Military Campgrounds Forum

More
16 years 11 months ago #940 by FastEagle
the nice thing about this web site is that most of the people using it have something in common...we are U.S. Military personnel or retired U.S. military personnel. As is the creator of this web site. The forum tends to lead us astray from the great service this site is providing us with...access to a wealth of information about all the military campgrounds available to us. This site has the very best information available to us and we should strive to help improve that information. When we are at a military installation that has a campground we should go look at it and tell what we see. If we actually stay at the campground than we should leave an accurate review. If there are homesteaders, find out why. If the infrastructure is not adequate has a plan been implemented to update it. Talk to the manager and camp host to see what is coming in the future. Lots of these campgrounds are operating on a shoestring and are just barely able to keep going. We have the cream of the crop risking their lives in foreign lands and some Commanding Officers just don't have the time to mess with campgrounds and some managers will take advantage of that. We can prod those managers with reports to their superiors. We just have to do our home work.

We are starting our summer trek into New England next week and there are very few military campgrounds up there and none in our path this summer. But when we turn west and head for our winter campground in AZ we will be practicing what we preach.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #941 by fiatspider79
Excellent editorial comment. You captured the whole idea and put it out in a way that even a GI can understand. Larry deserves a medal for what he has created. The more reviews we can get the better this site will serve us.

Glenn

More
16 years 11 months ago #942 by monkey44
QUOTE Fast Eagle: "The forum tends to lead us astray from the great service this site is providing us with ..."

That's pretty right on statement you wrote above FE, but we can't lessen the ability to discuss ideas here too. Although some have a tendency to get a bit "anal" occasionally (myself included) we know that this forum is a place to exchange ideas, and sometimes we even discover that we didn't actually write what we meant, or mean what we wrote, and it takes another set of eyes (editorially) to open our own ... but as long as we remain open to the concept of an individual opportunity to speak here and exchange those ideas and accept comment and even an occasional critique, that's another great benefit of this site we should never shy away from as well.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 11 months ago #943 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: U.S. Military Campgrounds Forum
It was a great idea to put forth some sort of guideline for what to look for when writing a review. Some of the reviews are useless as they say " it was a nice place to stay" or "wonderfull, I would stay there again". While these are nice comments, they serve no usefull input. Keying on issues, good or bad, lets others know what some of the issues are at that particular CG. While most often Larry has already told us what the amenities are in the CG info page, reviewers need not say "they have a shower room near by" or the "commissary is near by", most of this onfo is a given. The reviewer should comment on the condition or accessability of the amenities, and like "FE" said, report on the conditions and or plans to address them if you can find out. Keeping the CG's info current is great, it sure beats the book that is out of date the day after beening printed, and they (the book), just take the info that the CG is supplying, not actual "User Comments". This web site is "THE GREATEST" for supplying the needed info to those of us that want to or can travel and see and enjoy our country, and use some of the bennifits that we served to attain.
I have another comment concerning our (Retired) benefits which I will post in the near future. I just wanted to comment here and put in my two cents worth.

More
16 years 11 months ago #961 by oldchief46
Could not agree more with the previous comments. This site has helped me tremendously as we began our wanderings around this great country. Hopefully the reviews that I've submitted on the camp grounds we stayed in Florida this past winter helped someone else as I was helped by the reviews that were already here.

BTW, thanks Larry for putting together such a great site.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Time to create page: 0.559 seconds