money

More
12 years 5 months ago #9142 by thedrifter
money was created by thedrifter
I don't like to carry a lot of cash. I hope to start doing some traveling this coming summer (as will be retireing for good I hope). Have looked at many article's, but have not seen anything on money, what I'm looking for is what does one do for getting cash while on the road. I know I can go to a base and cash a check, and I'm not sure if VFW still does or not.
Wal-Mart does the think if you want cash back, but belive they have a high price for that. If you dont want to repond on this forum I understand. so will include my e-mail address [email protected] Thanks in advcance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #9144 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: money
Open a bank account and get a debit card. You can get cash at most any ATM nationwide if you don't want to cash a check on base, or are not near a base.

We did a cross-country trip last year and left with $100 cash - we pay with debit or credit (fuel) cards ... we returned with $80 cash - nowadays, you almost have to explain what cash is to some vendors, as "the cards" do it all.

More
12 years 5 months ago #9148 by JJnLilly
Replied by JJnLilly on topic Re: money
We do leave home with some cash but mainly rely on ATM card and credit cards. Our bank does reimburses us for out of network ATM use and we pay all credit card bills on line. I'm not fond of debit cards (personal preference) so really don't use one.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 5 months ago #9149 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: money
We also leave home with a small amount of cash for fun and games once we get to a military installation or private campgound. Our money lifestyle is the same when we travel as at our home in Florida. We use a USAA cash back Master Card for all purchases and have the full amount deducted from our BOA check book each month. To simplfy everything all income from any source is deposited automatically in the check book and all types of monthly payments such as phone, electric, TV services, computer wireless, mortgage, rv payment etc. are paid automatically from the check book. We do not pay anything over the internet or do any financial transactions on-line as it is all done automatically and we go on-line each day and review the checking account and USAA accounts. We have everything set up paperless and do not get cancelled checks either as no need to get them back if you can see everything on-line securely. This is what works for us and have been doing this for the 12 years. We RV about 7 months out of the year but usually in 2 week to 2 month trips. If we find we need cash we just go into a BOA and take it out of the checking account, we are not Debit card users either. We also have a Walmart money card we use for fuel in the car as their prices appear to be the best in most states. We have a couple of 5 gallon diesel containers stored in the RV and we fill them up at the best diesel priced pumps in the area we are in if we do not need too much fuel, again Walmart has good diesel prices compared to the big name truck stops. We are fortunate to have a Hess about 10 miles from our house and they have 4 lines our diesel pusher can get into and then we will fill up before we go home ready for the next trip. We hold 150 gallons so can go a long way before we need fuel. You will find what works for you and these are just some options you can think about. Good luck with your upcoming retirement and hope you enjoy RVing as much as we have.

More
12 years 5 months ago #9150 by cdrcos
Replied by cdrcos on topic Re: money
USAA is the way to go.

Unlike the last poster, we do use the debit card for getting cash. The beauty of it is you can go to any ATM and get cash and USAA will refund the ATM fee - so it is free (up to 10 per month) no need to find an ATM from your bank or worry about the fee.

Joe & Barb
2016 Winnebago Vista 31KE
Shoreview, Minnesota
Sun City Center, Florida

More
12 years 5 months ago #9151 by johnandmari
Replied by johnandmari on topic Re: money
Most, if not all ATM cards are part of a network. Usually cards used within a given network incur no charges when used. If you have (or plan to get) an ATM card, just check the issuing financial institution’s web site (bank, credit union, whatever) and look for something like “Service Center and ATM Locator”. Entering the zip code for where you are located (or plan to be) and the site will display ATM’s where your card will be accepted without incurring a user fee. We have used our ATM/Debit card for years without any fees.

John

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds