Best Free trip planner

More
12 years 7 months ago #8858 by jiminphxaz
I want to plan a trip across country using military campgrounds and others. I need something to go day by day and shows milage too. Can you help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #8859 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: Best Free trip planner
This is the one we use and it sounds like it should be what you are looking for. Go to www.goodsamclub.com and click Plan a Trip then look at quick links on the right and click Trip Routing. Self explanatory as you enter city and state from starting to stopping point. When you want to make your destination a military installation fill in the state and in the category highlight military bases and it will take you to all the bases in the state so you just pick it and keep going. You can pick and chose what you want to see, campgrounds, miles, rest stops and so on. At the bottom of the page you can continue each leg of your journey and not have to enter where you are starting from, pretty neat. Good luck and hope this one works for your travel needs and stay safe and have fun.

More
12 years 7 months ago #8862 by johnandmari
I believe you must be a Good Sam member to access the trip planning site. Not a member - join or look elswhere.

John

More
11 years 1 week ago #11519 by deckie49
Replied by deckie49 on topic Re: Best Free trip planner
Streets and Trips has worked quite well for us over the years. I just add the MilitaryCampgrounds POI file (in the members download section of this site). I can then see icons all over the US map and choose accordingly. The only drawback is that the POI file is a tad outdated. Is missing 8-9 sites.

More
10 years 10 months ago #11845 by Garmp
Replied by Garmp on topic Re: Best Free trip planner
This isn't the best, but one of the many I use. Of course it's free and does come in handy.

trips.active.com/Camping/TripPlanner.aspx?cmp=47-1

More
10 years 9 months ago #11853 by Sarge3398
It's not free, but I've been using the Trailer Life Directory Campground Navigator for years and haven't really found anything that's easier to use and as versatile. You put in your starting point, every place you want to go, how far you want to drive each day, MPG, and your average daily costs. Tell it to calculate your route and it gives you the route, where to stop each day, suggests campgrounds at each stop, tells you how far that leg is, the whole trip distance, driving times, start and stop times, and what's in the area to see and do.

You don't have to stop at the CG it suggests. You just double click on the name of the CG and it takes you to a map of that area with other campgrounds showing, including Military Campgrounds which are built into the software package. It has probably about 90% of the Military Campgrounds included, but has a feature to add your own CG's. You can also overlay Larry's POI file on the map if you want. I also have the Passport America POI file showing on it. Since Trailer Life Directory is now owned by Good Sam, it shows all the Good Sam parks, Camping World locations, and other RV service centers. Other information includes area attractions, and the Last Exit book included. Best part, you don't have to be online to use it!

The only thing wrong with being retired is that you never get a day off!

Time to create page: 0.361 seconds