Seafood Question???

More
17 years 1 month ago #469 by karylkoch
We were in the Gulf area and we wanted to buy some Gulf Shrimp. We looked in the Commissary and the Supper Walmart because it was convenient, at the time. We could only find shrimp from China and Indonesia. We later were able to find the shrimp, but I started to become interested, in where our seafood was coming from. I was shocked to see that most of it comes from overseas, and especially China. Several years ago, we picked up a can of Philip's crab meat, and saw it was from Indonesia, what was surprising, is that Philip's is a well known name in MD, so you could assume it was MD crab meat. Now that the dog/cat food controversy has taken place, and the blame goes to China, I'm even became more concerned about our food coming from overseas. Why do we have to get our food from oversea? >:( >:(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago #471 by fiatspider79
Because U.S. business executives would rather pay pennies to Chineese fisherman, packers and shippers rather than pay a living wage to a U.S. fisherman, packer and shipper. That way they get to pocket more of the money to send to their off-shore banks.

The other reason is that we let them do it.

Glenn

More
17 years 1 month ago #497 by FastEagle
Replied by FastEagle on topic Re: Seafood Question???
You went to the wrong places. When in the "Gulf" do as the locals do and go to the local fish market.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

More
17 years 1 month ago #503 by fiatspider79
Gotta agree with you on this one sailor. But I think it will be quite a while until the wife and I feel up to seafood again. It's gonna be burgers and fries for this GI for many moons.
Glenn

More
17 years 1 month ago #699 by milestogo
Replied by milestogo on topic Re: Seafood Question???
If you get back to the Pensacola area on the Gulf try Joe Patti's. We make a trip there on a regular basis and it is well worth it. It is right on the docks and the fish is right off the boats. Price is often about 1/2 to 3/4 what it is in the supermarkets. Super market stock is often previously frozen. Not the case at Joe Patti's. Try the tuna steaks -- they are to die for!!! Just don't over cook them. Tuna should be grilled only until the center is still red/pink. They also have a web site www.joepattis.com .

More
16 years 10 months ago #1270 by OurVee
Replied by OurVee on topic Re: Seafood Question???
my wife is a compulsive label reader, not a bad thing considering all the tainted stuff out there lately. Her Father always said to buy American, and she sticks to it as much as possible-hard to do these days-especially with our food. We try to get our seafood and produce from local markets, but found some of the local fishmongers selling the imported stuff on the quiet. She asked one if the shrimp was "Florida Shrimp" and the answer she got was "it's from Mexico, but the Gulf is the Gulf, right?" She left the basket there. She gets it all now from the local Winn Dixie(Central Florida). They usually have a large supply of "Key West Pinks" and a nice selection of Alaskan fish in the frozen section. Look for the "Product of USA" stamp or label on the back. It's gonna cost, maybe a dollar more than the other stuff, but at least we know whats in it.

Time to create page: 0.401 seconds