Support the Troops

More
16 years 1 week ago #3147 by skyking8
Support the Troops was created by skyking8
I had to do some air travel recently. I happen to be in one airport where there was a USO facility so I stopped in to kill some lay over time.

I noticed that there were several young service members sitting around waiting to use the one and only pay phone. So I pulled out my cell and passed it around for about an hour and a half. Since I get free minutes on the week end, it didn't cost me any airtime. Even if it had, it would have been worth every penny. I hope I get that opportunity again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 week ago #3150 by oldchief46
Replied by oldchief46 on topic Re: Support the Troops
You did good.

Since we have been marooned here in Oklahoma all winter I volunteered to work one day a week at the Military Welcome Center at Will Rogers World Airport in Oklahoma City. This is operated by the YMCA. This is where all the young men on their way to Army basic training at Ft Sill fly into. We have a lounge for them to wait until the buses leave in the evening to take them to the Fort.

In addition to a large screen TV with direct TV, we have computer terminals for their use. We also have two cell phones available for them to use to call home to let the folks know they got to Oklahoma City safely. Additionally, Pepsi Cola keeps a very large cooler stocked with their products for these young men. Around 1630 each day we have Pizza delivered in to feed everyone before they get to Ft Sill and start eating Army food. In addition to the new recruits we also see many active/reserve service members enroute or returing from duty. Many young Marines, who have completed the artillery course at Ft Sill, come through.

I volunteer on every Wednesday from 0800 to 1500. That is the largerst day of the week for receiving new recruits. We normally will have seen between 200 and 300 folks before the last bus runs at 2230. It is really rewarding and is greatly appreciated by our young people who have volunteered to serve. Sure wish these type facilities were around back when I was a young sailor traveling between duty stations.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
16 years 1 week ago #3163 by utmtman
Replied by utmtman on topic Re: Support the Troops
A pat on the back to both of you. Wish more people would get involved and help others. Oh what a great world that would be.

More
16 years 1 week ago #3172 by karylkoch
Replied by karylkoch on topic Re: Support the Troops
Bless you!! You brought tears to my eyes, what a kind and generous jester. I agree with the comment that we need more people like you.

More
16 years 1 week ago #3182 by djenson
Replied by djenson on topic Re: Support the Troops
Wow you are some great people. What a super idea of loaning your cell phone. This is the type of thing that makes me proud to associated with this group.

Time to create page: 0.413 seconds