Future of MCGs

More
16 years 5 months ago #2232 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: Future of MCGs
You're quoting me a little out of context here --

But what I meant [without a doubt] is that when we subcontract the services to civilian 'for profit' companies as a contract, the cost gets higher and when we use the service we will pay a higher out of pocket expense ...

But, that may not include the direct DOD employees -- that is, the employees that work directly for the feds -- those are employees, and do not include the profit factor as the prime mover for independent contract civilian companies ... we know absolutely that civilian companies will build in a profit, and also a "if we find this, it's additional" clause, and then search as hard a possible to find add-ons.

For example: We recently built a new elementary school in town. The excavating contract was the "low bidder" but in his contract ($11 million) was a clause that said: "Excavation bid does not include digging and removing from site any underground rocks." We'll never know how hard he searched for the underground rocks, but .........

The buried rocks that excavator found added a huge amount to the contract payout -- and were done on a per-ton basis. A very large extra -- so large, we had to go back to town meeting to get authority for additional money. And, that illustrates how the private sector raises the low bid pretty significantly on contracts --

In addition: Private sector companies will not use volunteers [trade for sites] to lower to costs to the campers either -- one more way we can keep the campsite costs down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #2238 by Idylltimes
Replied by Idylltimes on topic Re: Future of MCGs
We are saying exactly the same thing...contracting costs more than running the service in house.

Only thing is that, from a political/budgetary point of view, it's another color of money and therefore doesn't look as bad as spending money for government employees.

More
16 years 5 months ago #2248 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: Future of MCGs
Idylltimes: Right -- hide in plain sight!!

And I am afraid that the MCGs will eventually go to private contractors ... and that really saddens me a lot, because that will probably change how we all use them, and whether it remains a "benefit" or just something else we "buy" ...

Time to create page: 0.522 seconds