north to alaska

More
6 years 5 months ago #16379 by Hank85713
north to alaska was created by Hank85713
Just a quick question for folks who have gone to alaska. The wife wants to go and I have done some research and have been told to get the guidepost guide, but what I need to know is if there are viable campgrounds at reasonable distances to plan for? I know I can get all the info I want on US places but just not sure on the canadian and alaska stuff. I have ordered the tour books from the provinces but still figure I need some input on how to plan this little junket.

thanks in advance.

hank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #16380 by The Roo
Replied by The Roo on topic north to alaska
Guidepost will cover a lot, but there are numerous other resources as well. The Yukon Territory has a great travel guide that can be ordered from their website in paper form or you can download it. I recommend getting the paper copy since there are areas where internet is not available. Canada has numerous provincial parks that offer great locations to visit for a few days. British Columbia is a little stingier with the publications, but they do have them available for download as well.

Apps for your phone or tablet,,,
RVParky,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Allstays.com and others will have information available as well.

Also as you go you will quickly see the areas where others are stopping, Just be advised , the Canadians are serious on respecting the land, littering, dumping, damaging the area, are the things visitors do that they concentrate on protecting. Respect them and their lands and they are great host.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hank85713

More
6 years 5 months ago #16381 by Hank85713
Replied by Hank85713 on topic north to alaska
thank you yes I have already as I noted earlier requested provincial info from all the places to pass thru. Just trying to figure out potential stops as the places are totally unknown to anyone I know. so looking for input as to what are good stopping points. We are not real tourists as we dont really like to go to tourist spots but find little out of way attractions. My limited mobility will keep any treks into the woods at NONE!

I called the auto club for info and all I got was the route from google maps with no supporting info to work with! Guess since I havent used it for a long time much has changed in how they support trip requests. Went to BC on motorcycles with some friends and things were ok but this is to be more than a quick crossover and return.

More
6 years 5 months ago #16382 by cdrcos
Replied by cdrcos on topic north to alaska
I found this book to be very valuable. Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping: Alaskan and Yukon Camping with RV or Tent The Guidepost is fine and you should definitely get a current copy, but keep in mind that the information in the Guidepost is written by the businesses listed. Church's book gives recommendations.

The trip is fantastic and you will have no trouble finding places to camp - even the best campgrounds are pretty rustic. Good luck and enjoy.

Joe & Barb
2016 Winnebago Vista 31KE
Shoreview, Minnesota
Sun City Center, Florida

More
6 years 4 months ago #16423 by bill6750
Replied by bill6750 on topic north to alaska
We spent last summer in Alaska and had a ball. We found that the military campgrounds at Seward, Elmendorf, and in Fairbanks were very helpful. We used them. Google on my phone gave me a lot of insite for looking up the campgrounds in the area that I wanted to move to. There are plenty of campgrounds in Alaska that you won't have a problem. If you go to Homer make sure you make reservations. The cheepest spot on the spit is at the end of the spit.. Not great but acceptable.
Good luck and enjoy. We went by ourself the entire trip.

Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

Time to create page: 0.410 seconds