First Trip from FL to NH

More
8 years 3 months ago #14158 by mstaglia
Bought a travel trailer to get out of the FL heat of the summer. Looking to travel back up the east coast to NH. Looking for input on best routes and places to stop overnight on Military Bases. Any other suggestions would be great.
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #14159 by floridakamper
Go north. Just kidding, sort of. When we head to that neck of the woods, we normally spend some time in Williamsburg, Va., then over to Gettysburg, Pa., then up to the Pocono's, then Cape Cod and on to Maine. Lot's of other places between Florida and New Hampshire. Lots of military campgrounds in Virginia. Richmond DLA just off I-95 is a good over night. Earle, Naval Weapon Station in New Jersey is a good stop. There is a military campground in the Cape Cod area. Welcome and enjoy your travels.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #14170 by JCSme2008
Replied by JCSme2008 on topic First Trip from FL to NH
Hopefully you are not traveling anytime soon, as the coast is being pounded by the Winter Storms.

Depending on how far you are willing to venture off I-95. I also recommend the Poconos (awesome view, scenery, and area). Poconos has whitewater rafting, tubing, horseback riding, guided ATV trails, and more.

Also I recommend Old Mills Stream Campground in Lancaster, PA. Lancaster drops you right in the heart of Amish Country. This place has old historic museums and actual Amish country restaurants, stores, and venues. Plenty of places to see and things to do. Just remember speed limit to pass an Amish horse and buggy is 25mph.

www.oldmillstreamcampground.com/

2005 FLEETWOOD DISCOVERY 38U
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by larryf.

More
8 years 3 months ago #14172 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic First Trip from FL to NH
Mike - lots of Military campgrounds heading up the east coast, but you have to deal with the craziness of I-95, which seems perpetually under construction. AND, you really don't get much 'coast travel' unless you spend lots of time driving back and forth off and on the side roads getting to the seashore and back.

Unless you really, really want to see the coast and ocean, I'd suggest another route. Head out of Florida and up into Georgia via I-75, and pick up either I-81 north into Penn, then east into Mass, or hit the Great Smoky Mtns and travel the Blue Ridge parkway, then east into Mass and north - that is one phenomenal drive, and you can camp along the way.

We've done this drive numerous times and gave up on the coast route a long time ago. Altho', if you've never done it, then it might be worth the hassles and detours to see it once at least.

More
8 years 2 months ago #14192 by mstaglia
Replied by mstaglia on topic First Trip from FL to NH
Our usual trip has been 77 through NC and then 81. Nice ride if you're not towing a trailer. I figured 95 would be flatter and easier than towing through the mountains.

More
8 years 2 months ago #14194 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic First Trip from FL to NH

mstaglia wrote: Our usual trip has been 77 through NC and then 81. Nice ride if you're not towing a trailer. I figured 95 would be flatter and easier than towing through the mountains.

Towing a trailer thru miserable traffic and construction is worse than climbing a few hills. Blue Ridge is really not much of a mountain ... not compared to the Rockies or the Sierras. I know, you said you've done it, but I-95 is one nasty drive, especially after you hit Virginia. It's only about 100 or so miles different in driving miles, depending on where you begin.

Time to create page: 0.459 seconds