COOLING REFRIG FASTER

More
8 years 9 months ago #13878 by JCSme2008
I know I am still a newbie, but still like to share some of my experiences and hopefully will help someone.

Previous RV trips it took awhile for my refrigerator to get cold. I was told to turn on the refrigerator 24 hours prior to my trip. This wasn't really practical for me, yet. My RV stays onbase in storage until pre-checks are done, then I bring my RV home the day before, which is on a hill and not level.

Today the light bulb (my brain) came on. I turned on my RV generator and AC 2 hours before we leave because it was 90 degrees in it. I shut the refrigerator, which was reading over 90 degrees. Then I thought hmmmm turn off the refrigerator, open the doors and allow the house AC to cool the inside of the frig, and then shut the doors and turn on the frig so the frig doesn't have to work as hard.

I am sure the experienced RV'ers are probably using this technique and others (please share).

2005 FLEETWOOD DISCOVERY 38U

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #13880 by Hank85713
Replied by Hank85713 on topic COOLING REFRIG FASTER
No we usually start the refer about a day or 2 in advance. Use the propane to cool while in storage. Another thing I have done is purchase some small muffin fans that will circulate air over the cooling fins. Placed in TT not in RV yet. Have to run to outside 12v source in RV, TT just hooked to the door switch. Also you can place either frozen water bottles or ice in it to help cool quicker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JCSme2008

More
8 years 9 months ago #13882 by JCSme2008
Replied by JCSme2008 on topic COOLING REFRIG FASTER

Hank85713 wrote: No we usually start the refer about a day or 2 in advance. Use the propane to cool while in storage. Another thing I have done is purchase some small muffin fans that will circulate air over the cooling fins. Placed in TT not in RV yet. Have to run to outside 12v source in RV, TT just hooked to the door switch. Also you can place either frozen water bottles or ice in it to help cool quicker.

Thank you, all good information, but what is TT ?

2005 FLEETWOOD DISCOVERY 38U

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #13883 by Hank85713
Replied by Hank85713 on topic COOLING REFRIG FASTER
TT-Travel Trailer. Also you can place frozen meat (steak, hamburg) in the freezer, refer and let thaw so it ready when you stop for 1st day travel if so inclined. Like I said I bought some fans on ebay that are supposed to help cool quicker and maintain more even cooling. Ran about $20 each and takes depending on hookup about 15 mins to install unless you have to go to out of box like I don on the rv.

Almost forgot, whatever you put in frig or freezer should be previously cold/frozen to take load off the rv refer when initially loading up. Once undew way not much choice in this. Just remember to open door a minimum number of times to keep cold. The fans supposedly help with this also.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Hank85713.

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds