RANDOM THOUGHTS ABOUT RV'ING

More
8 years 10 months ago #13796 by stanbnv
I didn't do this, but my cousin hooked up his 5th wheel and neglected to check it, and when he started to drive off, it came loose and dropped on his new pick up. This was at a family reunion in front of about 100 relatives. It has always made me check to make sure my hitch is locked. I did unload a slide in camper though, but forgot to unplug the electric connection. It just pulled the in bed plug out, and I was able to put it back in with larger screws.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JCSme2008

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #13797 by greyhound73772
Glad to see you are enjoying the RV life. Try to develop a routine when hooking and unhooking, helps to eliminations some of the oops. If you are towing a car behind the motorhome, seems like everyone has failed to release the park brake. I flat spotted four tires!

More
8 years 10 months ago #13798 by LamSan
Replied by LamSan on topic RANDOM THOUGHTS ABOUT RV'ING
Okay JCSme2008 now that you have read some of the comments hope you realize you are just like all of us. My motto is "if you want to play you got to pay" and we all know the RV'ing lifestyle is fun and at times we have to open our wallets pretty wide when something goes wrong. We still live in a home so a checklist is a must as floridakamper mentioned as there is so much to do each time we take off. We each have our responsibilties and I control the list and Lambert lets me know what he has done on the list. The list is on the kitchen counter several days before we take off and it gets modified as things change. I put a check mark in each box to indicate it is done for each trip, probably best to make your own checklist as everyone has a different routine. Good luck and most of all just have FUN!

More
8 years 10 months ago #13801 by JCSme2008
I have enjoyed reading all the post and watching funny newbie mistake videos on youtube. I have prepared my wallet for worse case scenarios.

We have made a couple of real minor mistakes but nothing yet that caused any $$money$$, like opening the slide outs before leveling and I forgot the generator was on until I was 10 miles down road.

Wifey and I are slowly finalizing a team work routine (her part / my part), which is working out nicely. We double check each other. We have this funny phrase we use, "put it on the check list (chuckling)" for what we need to do the next time.

I agree, when company is around or family. I completely ignore them to ensure my old brain (what's left of it) is focused on everything I need to do. Inexperienced family and friends want to help, but I'd rather they just stand fast until we have completed everything.

For me that last walk around is the most crucial. Sometimes I talk to myself going over things in my head. I also do a slow walk around after every rest stop.

Thanks for all the post.

2005 FLEETWOOD DISCOVERY 38U

More
8 years 10 months ago #13802 by floridakamper
Here is one more thing you might want to consider. I think most rear camera's have an audio feature. I always traveled with the audio turned down because trucks and motorcycles were noisy. I had an incident where my toad and tow bar became partially disconnected. It did minor damage to the car and MH and destroyed the tow bar. I never knew I had a problem until I stopped at a CG. Now I leave the audio turned up, hoping I'll hear a problem.

More
8 years 10 months ago #13817 by skyking8
In 15 years of RVing the only mistake I made was leaving the brakes on in the toad. Thankfully, I was just leaving the campsite and had lots of fellow RVers waving arms and legs for me to stop after they saw the black tire marks on the pavement.

There is one truism in RVing. Sooner or later you will make a mistake. Just hope that it's a cheap one.

Time to create page: 0.519 seconds