FL to WA route in April

More
10 years 2 months ago #12610 by rvdreamers
Our son just learned he will be deploying for the third time in May. We need to get from FL to WA in April. Have never driven over mountains or through snow with trailer. Please advise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #12611 by DSDELANO
Replied by DSDELANO on topic FL to WA route in April
If your are going thru California and down I-5 to Washington you will be fine but if you plan on going thru eastern Washington over the mountains might be pretty bad, right now 90 is closed because of snow and it is hard to tell what it would be like in April, could be bad or good. I have nerver had a problem pulling over I-5 any time

More
10 years 2 months ago #12615 by Bogeysix
Replied by Bogeysix on topic FL to WA route in April
I agree with the I-10 and I-5 route, but that is one lonnng drive. Any shorter route and you MAY hit snow so it may be better to make a decision closer to your approaching the mountains. Personally, I would go:
I-10W to Lafayette, La then I-49N to I-20W to I-35N to US 287N to I-40W at Amarillo where you can check the weather for the west (and stay on US287 to Denver, and cross the Rockies on I-70 to US 191/US6 to I-15, I-84 to Portland then I-5N.) or continue across I-40 to CA-58 to CA-99 and onto I-5 at Sacramento. If the mountains west of Denver is clear go that way. Either way you go the weather can change quickly, so if the roads are clear, don't hesitate get across the mountains then stop for whatever. A drive that long in April is a big gamble with the weather so have a plan B and plan C if necessary.

Time to create page: 0.509 seconds