USAA and truck shopping

More
10 years 5 months ago #12302 by monkey44
Was / am considering a new truck - love this old GMC buddy I got now, but 211,000 miles is a lot.

So, went on USAA, where it said fill out the info form, and you get the USAA discount and a price. So, took about ten minutes and got on the GMC site and stayed on the USAA site, and filled in truck, options, etc.

Did I get a price? NOPE - got every dealer within fifty miles calling my cell and sending me emails - asking me to come in and 'talk' -- I coulda done that without USAA -- but NOT one single price ... When I did this, I expected to see a price for the vehicle I 'built" and a place to get it. NOT happening - what happens is your name goes out to all the local dealers and they try to get you in -- because, it voids the "do not call" rules. Not what I expected, not by a long shot. And the ones that called or email had NO idea what I want, either. So, if you do this - don't - just go to the dealer direct because filling out the forms will bombard you with dealers anyway.

NOT one would give me a price either - except quote MSRP ... but, come in and we'll make your our best deal. THEN, they tell me if I go somewhere else and they give me lower, they'll match it. What does that tell us immediately??? It tells us we didn't actually get the best deal first time, did we?? And, then I ask myself, why would I go back and get the same deal? Makes no sense to me ...

What's even funny, if it wasn't annoying to get all these calls - an insurance quote came in 50% over my current agent. AND, I got one call from a Tire Seller, wanting to know if I needed new tires on the truck I was buying - a new truck, I assume comes with new tires. SO, that one did make me laugh.

The $40k+ tho, will sit in my wallet and I'll dig some of it out and repair this Old Buddy instead, when it needs it, for a couple more years anyway. I paid $27,560 for this GMC in 2003, and the one equipped like it now is $46k and change. HA, got new tires tho'.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds