Shipping a vehicle

More
10 years 10 months ago #11817 by monkey44
Shipping a vehicle was created by monkey44
Anyone know the best way to ship a vehicle from Boston area to Florida ...

Not the auto-train ... looking to ship a PU truck and a 10' cargo trailer.

I web-search and keep getting brokers that want a fee, but can't promise anything - well, they promise a fee ...

Trying to save myself driving it all that way -

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #11821 by floridakamper
Monkey, I live in Florida and I see Car Carriers with names to suggest they cater to the snow birds. I also shipped a boat and trailer from New Jersey to Florida a number of years ago. The one thing I'm sure about is that it isn't cheap. With the boat I did go through a company that would match up shippers that were flexible on time frame with transporters that were returning empty or had space for a reduced price. This was 15 years ago and I think the discounted price was still $1200. A trailer and truck would probably be charged as two vehicles. A cheaper alternative but more risky is to find a driver that is going to Florida for their personal reasons that would drive your vehicle and trailer for gas money and a small fee.
Here is a link to a company whose trucks I have seen making deliveries in Florida.
Snowbird Auto Transport
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by floridakamper. Reason: Typo

More
10 years 10 months ago #11831 by dubob
Replied by dubob on topic Re: Shipping a vehicle

monkey44 wrote: Anyone know the best way to ship a vehicle from Boston area to Florida ...

You should look for an auto drive-away service that will drive your truck and trailer from Boston to Florida for you. Here is a link to one such company that has an office in the Boston area: www.autodriveaway.com/boston#page=page-1

You might give them a call for rates and terms.

Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 76 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich

More
10 years 10 months ago #11833 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: Shipping a vehicle
Was checking to see if I could find a trucker - but it seems they all go through 'brokers' now.

So, what happens - you say OK, and you're locked in - broker posts it on a board, and if the broker doesn't find a trucker ... you sit and wait, and were sitting and waiting.

I was trying to save me driving it down, if I could. Fees so far are about $1400 for both - but it's not real until a driver agrees - brokers are like, well, brokers - salesman, trying to sell the 'haul' ... to me, that fee is worth it only because I have two trucks and two trailers to haul, so would need to fly-train, back and do it again.

SO, might just do that, but will not let any 'third party' driver do it - it's me or a trucker. Soon to be classic truck and a classic bike, and not willing to find a 'driver' for either one.

Will explore that Snowbirds site ... thanks BD

More
10 years 10 months ago #11837 by floridakamper

monkey44 wrote: Fees so far are about $1400 for both - but it's not real until a driver agrees

$1400 for the truck and trailer sounds like a very fair price to me. When I shipped the boat it took about 6 weeks to get it done. Price was more important than timeliness so it worked for me. Good luck. If you need any help in the Jacksonville, Florida area, let me know. (15 minutes south of NAS Jax)

More
10 years 10 months ago #11838 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: Shipping a vehicle
thanks - daughter is picking it up, but you never know - so, will keep that in mind.

We have storage lot in Kings Bay - so if any hassle occurs once we do it, I'll let you know. It would just mean driving it to our storage and dropping it. Thanks for the offer. M44

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds