50 AMP

More
11 years 3 months ago #10866 by Ed Kelly
50 AMP was created by Ed Kelly
My Trek is set up for a 50 AMP hookup but I have no problem using 30
AMP. I use the same amount of electricity when plugged into either. My question is why should I have to pay more for a 50 AMP hookup?

Ed & Joan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #10870 by floridakamper
Replied by floridakamper on topic Re: 50 AMP
I don't recall ever paying more for 50 amp service in a military campground but I wouldn't be surprised to find out there are some. I have been to some civilian campgrounds that have 30 amp sites and 50 amp sites. We always ask for a 50 amp site so we can run heat pumps, AC's, microwaves, hot water heaters, etc., at will. For us it's reasonable to charge a little more for the extra power, we "might" use. I guess you're suggesting a senerio where you check into a park that has both at different prices. You know you only need 30 amps but they're all taken and only the 50 amp is available. From a business stand point, I understand the different pricing.

More
11 years 3 months ago #10871 by Kokomo36
Replied by Kokomo36 on topic Re: 50 AMP
Many times, if 30 amp is a cheaper option, we go 30 with an adapter. Once we had a site with 50 and 30, chose and paid the 30 price on the honor system. I'm sure many CG's have discovered not all campers are honorable and if it has 50; you pay 50...

More
11 years 3 months ago #10875 by LamSan
Replied by LamSan on topic Re: 50 AMP
We have never paid more for a 50AMP in a military campground either as floridakamper mentioned and very rarely does a private campground charge more either. The biggest user of amps will always be AC and Heat Pumps and if you have 2 or 3 units 30AMPS will not be sufficient and I am with you floridakamper as we use our convection/microwave, washer/dryer and I will gladly pay a few extra dollars if need be so I can live in my RV as comfortably as I do when at home. We have a hydro/hot that uses diesel to heat our hot water but on cold mornings if we are planning on leaving we need to turn on the engine preheat so it does not take long to get to 50AMP usage. As for the Trek only using 30AMPS and it is set up for 50AMPS I guess your best bet is plug into 30AMPS and if only 50AMP is available and you have to pay more use a reducer and plug into 30AMPS for the lesser charge.

More
11 years 3 months ago #10876 by JJnLilly
Replied by JJnLilly on topic Re: 50 AMP
Some of the private campgrounds in our home area (Ohio) do charge extra for 50AMP service during the summer. They figure if you are going to run 50AMP most likely you are running two A/C units so you should pay a bit more. Generally it is $2 more per day.

Time to create page: 0.381 seconds