Bought our first trailer today!

More
11 years 11 months ago #10049 by rvdreamers
SO EXCITED! We bought our first trailer today! Got a 2009 Jayco Jay Flight. We both still work full time & our vacation time for the rest of this year is pretty limited, so our goal is to get away every so often for a 3 or 4 day weekend. We live near Daytona Beach. Anyone have any suggestions for our "maiden voyage"?! We think the first trip should be within 2 or 3 hours' drive. Next Year we want to get to the Keys for a week & also up to the Smokies for a week, but for the rest of this year, we can only do some short trips.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #10050 by Sarge3398
Congratulations on your new arrival!!! :laugh:

If you're looking for Military Campgrounds within 2 - 3 hours of Daytona, you have Mayport up by Jacksonville, and King's Bay in Georgia. There are some others, but these are the only 2 I've been to and they're both nice. Check out the Facility Listings under the Recreation Facility Info tab up at the top of the page.

There's also some really nice Florida State Parks within that time frame. Two that I can recommend are Stephen Foster Cultural Center in White Springs and Myakka State Park down near Sarasota. Both are water and electric hookups only, but there's a dump station in each.

You're also only a couple of hours from Ocala, another nice area. Silver Springs is a great area with lots to do on a weekend.

Of course, you're right up the road from Mouseville, but I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. :sick:

Whatever you decide, drive safely and have some great trips!!

The only thing wrong with being retired is that you never get a day off!

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 11 months ago #10053 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: Bought our first trailer today!
Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of RV'ing. We started out with a trailer too and just loved it. You might want to add Manatee Cove at Patrick AFB to the list. You cannot make a reservation but this time of year you should not have trouble getting a site. We were there several weeks ago for a 2 week stay and so much to do and see in the area. We love Kings Bay and Mayport too but not sure how much if any damage Beryl did there. Mayport has a steady brisk wind coming in off the ocean so you would not be able to keep your patio awning out unless anchored to the ground and Kings Bay can be buggy. Patrick would be a perfect place for a first time RV'r and if any problems with anything you are not too far from home. If you do decide on Patrick be sure you go in through the COMMERCIAL gate not the main gate. Have fun and good luck with your newly acquired RV.

More
11 years 11 months ago #10054 by ErnieT
Try Camp Blanding. On the water. Take 16 west out of St. Augustine. Mayport is nice but Camp Blanding on the lake is better...Ask for the older section, more trees.
Ernie
The following user(s) said Thank You: rvdreamers

More
11 years 11 months ago #10079 by rvdreamers
THANK YOU all for your ideas1 I'm so glad to read that we had already picked out several of your suggestions. Mayport will be our first trip, we got a waterfront site for 2 nights! Manatee Cove & Kings Bay were also on our list. I will be checking into the others that were mentioned also. THANKS AGAIN!!! So excited to get started! Susie

More
11 years 11 months ago #10080 by eric1178
Happy camping.

Time to create page: 0.402 seconds