Help pls re: Brownsville/Rio Grande Valley Texas

More
16 years 1 month ago #2970 by jsummers
My frau & I are wanting to spend a couple of winter months in the "Valley". Can anyone help me ? There are literally 100's of commercial campgnds/RV parks in the tip of Texas. Has any US Mil Campgrnd user stayed down there & be willing to share their "secret" RV park w/ me ? I'd rather have a rec from a military couple than all the ads in the RV park "big books". I play golf & the wife loves to watch birds. Thnx so much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #3001 by mkebikecop
Never been there yet but my brother spent the last three winters at Mission Gardens RV Resort their site is at : www.resortrvparks.com/

We will be going there this coming November for a month or so with him. Then on to Apache Junction for the rest of the winter.

"Battles are sometimes won by generals; wars are nearly always won by sergeants and privates."
-F.E. Adcock, British classical scholar

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #3009 by jsummers
thnx Ed. Got any tips for snagging a reservation at Apache Junction ?

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #3010 by mkebikecop
Go to www.azrvparks.com & request their directory. It list a lot of RV parks there. The key is book early for the winter if you want a good place.

We will be at the Gold Canyon RV & Golf Resort near the Superstition Mountains.

"Battles are sometimes won by generals; wars are nearly always won by sergeants and privates."
-F.E. Adcock, British classical scholar

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 3 weeks ago #3013 by a Guest
My husband and I tried to spend a month in San Benito and the winds and the heat were relentless in February this year. Our first time in the Rio Grande Valley and we left after 3 weeks due to the winds 24 hours a day. Had to bring slides in so many times and it was difficult to enjoy outdoor activities due to the high winds. We were told it is usually like this and it was so dry as they had hardly any rain since Nov. Winter of 07 it was wet and windy we were told so if you are serious about going be prepared for some wild weather. We have a 45' motorhome so we were limited as to the places we could stay. All the campgrounds we drove into between San Benito and McAllen were full and the sites usually were tight most of them are made for trailers and have lots of park models in them. When we left there after 3 weeks we went into Shields Park NAS in Corpus Christi, loved it. If you have not tried Fort Sam Houston (San Antonio area) yet in the winter we would highly recommend it, have been there many times and were sorry we did not stick with it. You used the term Frau and if you go to Fort Sam Houston be sure to go to Fredericksburg ( a German settlement). My husband is Austrian born and we try and find any place that has a German influence and good German food. If you are really serious let us know what kind of rig you have and I can send you some names that may be what you are looking for in the Rio Grande Valley. Sandi Elboeck

More
16 years 1 week ago #3078 by jsummers
Sandy,
Thnx for the nice reply. We also found this past Feb & Mar especially windy. We tried all across West Texas & New Mexico. Same story everywhere. Yes, we like Ft. Sam but the big city isn't exactly our cup o' tea. We like Ft. Bliss better for some reason, but still too big. White Sands seems to have been the least winds and smallest/friendliest place we tried. Kirtland absolutely was a wind tunnel, just as you described. It's funny about Shields. Our Alaska friends were in Corpus during Feb & described being "trapped" inside their motorhome for 10 days due to winds. I guess the Springtime is just unpredictable. We dodged tornadoes across the Southeast (N. Alabama, N. GA, SE Tenn) last Spring & thought the Southwest would be "the" ticket for Spring. Now we're not so sure. I toying with trying the Southeast again next Spring but further South. Navy Jacksonville looks appealing. ANy personal observations about the Fla/GA border area ? Thnx again. Safe camping.

Time to create page: 0.519 seconds