Permit to Carry

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #5849 by monkey44
Permit to Carry was created by monkey44
AM writing an article for a camping/RV magazine about interstate transport of weapons for hunting and/or protection ... but the laws are pretty confusing, and not very consistent at best.

Can any of you guys give me your opinion about which state has the toughest "P-T-C" laws, and which state is the easiest state to get a permit? I can't begin to compare all of them because each is too different, but if I can compare the 'toughest' vs the 'easiest', it'll be a little easier to do it.

I know the laws are difficult to follow sometimes because if you're in one state and cross a couple state borders to get to another state to camp or 'recreate' you can run across two or three different sets of laws.

Also, some states honor other state's PTC, so does anyone have an opinion (or know) which state honors the greatest number of other state's PTC ?? AM excluding Alaska and Hawaii at this point, and writing about continental USA only for now.

SO, I'm really just looking for a personal opinion at this point ... thanks BD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #5853 by wb4zit
Replied by wb4zit on topic Re:Permit to Carry
You need to go here and poke around.
www.handgunlaw.us

They have a good chart on state reciprocal agreements.
www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

Mel Linville
US Army MSG (Ret)
2020 Ram 2500 Hemi and shopping for a cheap, used, small 5th wheel

More
15 years 2 weeks ago - 15 years 2 weeks ago #5855 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re:Permit to Carry
Yes, have been to both sites, and even talked to the guy that runs it. Each time I asked a question, he tells me the answer is right on the site - DUH, if I'm asking him, it's not clear on the site or I wouldn't have to ask him. So he was generally less than helpful.

But the problem is attempting to read it vs. experience it (the process and rules) ...

I haven't carried in years (handguns, I mean) and long-guns are a little different -- and so have lost touch with the process. I know plenty of the vets on here do, so I figured some might be into it enough to offer an opinion about which state is the most strict and which the least strict from some personal experience.

If you begin reading the laws from each state, it just becomes a turmoil keeping them separate -- and I don't usually have a problem with this research stuff, but this one is just confusing me, the laws almost contradict in some cases ... particulaly when you have a permit in one state and travel through another to get to another. I know, I know, just lock it up, but that doesn't speak to my comparison issue. M44

SO, will just keep at it, and will share the info with this site if I figure it out... Some of you might be interested because we travel so much.
Last edit: 15 years 2 weeks ago by monkey44.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 2 weeks ago #5858 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Permit to Carry
Try this website : recguns.com/sources/II2a.html

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #5863 by oldchief46
Replied by oldchief46 on topic Re:Permit to Carry
Your best bet is to try the NRA website. Of the 50 states all but 2 have some kind of carry permit. The only two that don't are Wisconsin and Illinois. My carry permit (Oklahoma) is accepted in 26 other states without question.

Probably the hardest state is California. They are a "show cause" state, which means you must show that you have a specific cause for your need of a permit. From the law enforcement folks I've talked to out there it is almost impossible to get a permit unless you are a VERY good friend of your local Sheriff. My understanding that about the easiest state is Florida. Florida even has a program to issue them to non-residents.

Hope some of this helps.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
15 years 2 weeks ago - 15 years 2 weeks ago #5865 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re:Permit to Carry
Thanks Chief ... I'll look at those two first. I tried emailing NRA, but I'm not a member, so all I got is a 'canned response' to join and send money.

Seems like this day of all this remarkable electronic communication we've developed, every one suddenly jumps on auto-pilot, and lets the robot do the 'talking' ... I'm always amazed when I call a number and actually get a person.
Last edit: 15 years 2 weeks ago by monkey44.

Time to create page: 0.603 seconds