Medications and Full Time

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #12247 by Buster
I am starting a part-time/full time trips. I am 100% rated and use the VA for my primary health care. I take a few meds but one is controlled. It comes UPS monthly and must be signed for. The pharmaacy never sends it the same time each month. I'm sure there are other Vet's that are in the same situation. Is there any fix to this? How would the controlled meds get to me for those three or four months on the road at a time? Thanks for any feed back

SINCE I POST THIS REQUEST I FOUND OUT SOME INFO:
I asked the pharmacy at my local VA what I could do. They said that I can put a temporary change of address to someone that I trust (family member) and they can foward the meds to me. As long as there is an adult to sign for meds.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Buster. Reason: MORE INFO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #12248 by puppyraiser
You may want to check with you pharmacy about a "vacation fill" on your medication. We have been able to do this with Express Scripts. You get the meds before you hit the road. Good luck....

More
10 years 6 months ago #12252 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Medications and Full Time
You can't do that with controlled meds - you need VA to send it every month. they won't give you 90 day supply. Best option, get a mail forwarding box, and they will sign and forward to you.

SDI in Green cove Springs FL is a good one - $11 a month, plus shipping cost ... so, about $20 a month if you only ship once a month.

Controlled drugs are a hassle, and VA has a very tough policy on it - and it's getting worse. The pinheads in DC that closed our government down make policy decisions on medications that have nothing to do with medical need ... it's budget mostly, except the controlled meds, and they want to give you aspirin instead. Makes no sense, but they believe we're all drug addicts instead of veterans that gave up our health to serve this country ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: stanbnv

More
10 years 1 month ago #12734 by rickusnchief
Unfortunately the VA's pharmacy system is so antiquated that there is no fix for RV'ers. What would clearly work is a system that took into account the fact that you travel and you should be able to stop in any VA and they pull your records up and fill your Rx. The computer systems the VA uses cannot interact with each other and so therefore it is extremely difficult to go from one VA to the next and get treatment. Add that to another fact that most VA's are deep in city metro areas making them hard to navigate to with an RV. If you went with a mail service such as Escapee's (not endorsed) they would get your mail and forward it to any place that you asked. I think Good Sam offers the same service also. Normally they have me sign for my meds except the last time when they just shoved them in the mail box.

Because of the influx of new veterans and the draw down of manpower in all the branches the system has become overwhelmed that it cannot function as a reliable heath care service. So, with that said I wish I had a plan for you but I don't. Most VA's are also required by law to comply with the regulations of the state in which they are located. Some states do not allow for the transfer of Rx's across state lines, others require a visit for each controlled Rx that you have, still others only allow a one month Rx at a time with no refills allowed. I have since given up on the VA for any of my care even though I am 100% also. Since I am retired I kept my Tricare and it works a little better with them but they are not all full proof.

Time to create page: 0.390 seconds