Southern Most Route to AZ

More
12 years 3 months ago #9308 by GBOY1
Would like to head south and west, depending on weather (dry roads)in 2 weeks. If weather (reasonably dry roads) along southeast coast okay what is the southern most route west? Would like to avoid higher elevations in Texas after San Antonio. My assessment from maps is that I-10 still the best road, but it can get pretty high up. Been a long time since we made the trek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9313 by Sarge3398
I-10 after San Antonio is a gradual climb toward the mountains. Nothing very steep and a pretty easy drive.

West Texas is beautiful, but it's a long way between water holes! :laugh:

The only thing wrong with being retired is that you never get a day off!

More
12 years 3 months ago #9314 by GBOY1
Replied by GBOY1 on topic Re: Southern Most Route to AZ
Yeah Sarge, I remember that part. AAA indicates there is a weather alert for the time frame I am looking at right now. Hopefully it will clear. I am late starting, but still hoping I can get below the line if crazy weather does not befall. Looking for a little more sun than I expect we will see up here. Beautiful today, but come tomorrow, it on! Thanks.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9316 by pricejh
The elevation in El Paso is only 3,740 ft. The "pass" is south of Mt Franklin and the Siera Madre Occedentals to the south, in Mexico. It's an easy drive. Once you get past San Antonio, the road is really flat and straight.

I think that Willcox, AZ will be your hightest point at about 4,100 ft. That being said, snow is rare in that part of the world. Watch the weather forecasts and wait out any storms. The high desert is beautiful in the snow and the roads melt very quickly.

I was born and raised in EP and have run all over the western US. Now I get to learn all aobut the Southeast.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9319 by GBOY1
Replied by GBOY1 on topic Re: Southern Most Route to AZ
Thanks PriceJh. Its all coming back with the notes rec'd. Your note regarding EP, especially tweak the memory.

Hoping for a decent start out of the "mid-Atlantic" and the southeast.

Looks like you have adapted pretty well.

More
12 years 1 month ago #9722 by dchaz
Replied by dchaz on topic Re: Southern Most Route to AZ
There are some pretty steep pulls along I-10 between Bourne and Junction, particularly around Kerrville that will slow you down pretty good.

If you have time, I would recommend a detour on US 87 up through Fredricksburg (Pacific War Museum) through San Angelo (Goodfellow AFB FAMCAMP) and on up to Midland to I-20 and then west from there. Everything from Hill Country to plains to arid near desert.

Just my 2 cents.

Have fun on your trip!

Dave

Time to create page: 0.464 seconds