Apache Flats, Huachuca, AZ.

More
12 years 1 month ago #9723 by dchaz
Was just down in that area two weeks ago. We stayed at Kartchner Caverns State Park just south of Benson on the road down to Huachuca. Great large sites with wonderful facilities. No sewer hookups but a handy dump station. Very friendly people too. Worth a look!

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #10068 by armyguy1
Just a note to let you all know that my wife and I spent a week at Apache Flats Campground, Fort Huachuca last Mar-Apr time period and enjoyed the stay very much. The staff was super nice and informative about the area with regards to things to see and do. Nice People! The park was very clean, quiet and we felt very safe. Lot's to do in the area too!

We knew we would love it there when on our first night there (around 9PM), It was deadly quiet in the campground. We were sitting in our chairs outside on the cement patio. The night was cool and clear. Then, all of a sudden we heard what sounded like a horse trotting on the asphalt street beside our rig. The noise got louder and louder.....until we were shocked to see a full grown deer running srtaight at us. I stood up in anticipation of dodging this animal when it suddenly turned and ran behind our rig, across another small path about 30 feet away and ......CRASH! The deer ran square on into a chain link fence which bordered the property. I was shocked! So was the deer! The deer then stood up, shook it off for a few seconds and began running full speed along the fence away from us as if to look for some kind of escape route. The park was fenced all the way around so.... It may have jumped it later.

As if that were not strange enough, 30 seconds later, after we sat down again, laughing about the mishap, a full size coyote calmly trotted beside our campsite, paying no attention to how close we were to him, weaving in and out of all the motorhomes and trailers, as if to look for the best route to follow and catch that deer! He (or she) was purely in search and destroy mode. To this day, we don't know if that coyote ever found that deer. It was really dark out there and we didn't hear any animal cries. We like to think the deer figured it out and jumped the fence.

The next day, our tale ran through the camp. A lot of people say that coyotes wander through there regularly.......but none have seen a deer chase in progress.

This is a pretty nice place to unwind if need be. A nice quiet, small park. We intend to return for the annual deer chase! :laugh:

More
10 years 5 months ago #12321 by goldman
Replied by goldman on topic Apache Flats, Huachuca, AZ.
We no longer stay at APACHE Flats,rates too high.Visited this summer, and they were pretty empty due to rate increase do not know what will happen if they raise rates again.

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds