Point Magu Campground

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #8393 by campgrandma
Hi...does anyone know what the current rates are at this RV Park? With San Onofre and DelMar increasing rates, just wondering if ALL California Military campgrounds were increasing? We are planning a trip for later this year or early next year!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #8395 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: Point Magu Campground
As RV's develop and some of us use the MCGs more, the bean-counter component has 'discovered' a 'cash cow' ... and similar to the 'gas price' instead of a benefit, it's now become priced like outside the gates. What kind if benefit is it, when we price the same as the private CG's outside - yes, we camp with bothers and sisters "In-Arms", and we have security, but why do we pay what civilians pay when the MCG overhead is MUCH less?? Go figure that one??

We should receive this as a benefit that supports itself well, and has been supporting itself for years. But when the funds we generate are taken into MWR instead of remaining at the MCG, then it becomes "let's raise the rates' and get extra funds for other MWR events that don't support themselves.

An example: In Kings Bay, the campground also ran a small, gated 'store your RV' lot. Sign up at the MCG office, and get a key, open the gate, do your business, return the key. At $22 a month (or by the day for short stay)... and the MCG used the funds for "extra stuff" at the MCG, like hire a band night, or a BBQ, etc, or even make minor repairs.

THEN, "MWR discovered the funds" and now takes the storage money. According to Charlie who manages the MCG, we go find an MWR office when it's 'periodically' open, sign up, pay the fee (month minimum now, no daily rate) and none of the money comes back to MCG. Of course, MCG still 'maintains' the key, and operates the storage, it just gets NO money from it now.

What's fair is fair, and we enjoy all the benefits we earned, and are certainly willing to pay the fees to operate, but when some of the money we pay to enjoy these benefits gets diverted, then it becomes unfair.

This MCG system could easily become the best in the world, if the funds it receives remains in the MCG system. But, when the funds are diverted and used elsewhere, and the 'bare minimum for maintenance' comes back, then it will never improve as well as it could. Unfortunately, we have no voice in MWR decisions.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #8398 by Martin64
Replied by Martin64 on topic Re: Point Magu Campground
NAF El Centro was $250/mo last year now it's $300, so I'm thinking they all went up a little. Magu seems to be a popular base as everytime I'd been there it seemed the park was pretty full. The weather there is great too!

You may have to call for rates ( (805) 982-6123 Ext. 0 )

www.militarycampgrounds.us/milcamps/19-c...ecreation-facilities
Last edit: 13 years 3 weeks ago by Martin64.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #8399 by bill6750
Replied by bill6750 on topic Re: Point Magu Campground
We were just there two weeks ago, and I tell you if I had my choice to do it again I would go over to the camp at Port Hueneme, which is only a few miles away and the camp is great. It has grass and everything works. They are building 50 new sites which will be opening soon if not already. Anyway we stayed a week at Mugu and paid $210.00. That was a weekly rate. I hope this helps. The strawberries were on when we were there and were good. They had so much rain and the strawberry fields were flooded.
Bill

Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #8402 by campgrandma
Thanks everyone. We have stayed here before and love the location. Hopefully we won't be "outpriced" so that we won't be able to stay. But the alternatives for other places is probably worse.

More
12 years 10 months ago #8585 by billb1959
Replied by billb1959 on topic Re: Point Magu Campground
A current update to this post. We're at Pt. Mugu now. Rate is $30 per night for FHU. No discount for weekly or monthly rates.

What I really like about this area is that you have your choice of two Fam Camps within a few miles of one another (Pt. Mugu and Port Hueneme). If you want access to a great beach, go to Pt. Mugu.....if you want access to a pretty decent golf course, Port Hueneme. Either way, they're both pretty great places to stay.

FYI - Port Hueneme has a great NEX and commissary.

Bill B.

Time to create page: 0.465 seconds