RV park for seeing the sights in San Francisco

More
13 years 1 month ago #8275 by bill6750
We are going to travel to San Francisco and the surounding area in a couple of weeks and wondered where the best place to park the RV to see the things there like Alcatraz, Golden gate, China town, fishermans wharf etc. Any good advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,B)

Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #8288 by monkey44
Travis is a very nice CG, altho the guy that runs it is a little 'rod-like' in his 'supervision'

But it's about half-hour or so, if you schedule around the traffic rushes ... you might think about parking RV at Travis and staying in SF a night or two as the traffic to and from is extensive even at other times of the day ...

Lots of 'great stuff' in SF, and surrounding areas - if you PM me, will chat a bit and see what you like and help you focus if you want, feel free - I lived in SF several years in the seventies, and have returned often - it's one of my favorite cities in the USA ... Bill

One note: The Steinhart Aquarium in Golden Gate Park is a 'must see' exhibit - cost $28 admission, but third Wed (Check this, might be first Wed) admission is FREE to everyone. IF you pick that day, go very early in AM and park near the center - walk to breakfast somewhere close, then come back - parking is a mad-house otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bill6750

More
13 years 1 month ago #8289 by bill6750
Monkey 44, I was thinking about parking at Travis and going to the sites via my pickup or M/C. That sounds like a good idea for going early to the golden gate. Thanks for the help.
Bill

Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

More
13 years 1 month ago #8293 by jdknapper
Be sure to go online to get tickets for Alcatraz. Need to get them two weeks in advance. Our grandchildren were disappointed last summer when we couldn't get tickets. We drove our F-350 into SanFran and although traffic was terrible we had no problems. Parked in a garage across from one of the popular piers.

More
13 years 1 month ago #8348 by Rsmorgan2
Hi
I was stationed at Oakland Army Base in the 60s, even met and married my wife there.
We plan on going back in 2012.
Do you know if it is still being there?
Thx
Ron

More
12 years 10 months ago #8535 by dddlin
We stayed at the Coast Guard campground in Petaluma and drove into San Francisco. Very nice, quiet, convenient. It is about an hour north of SF and I think it was just as close at Travis. It was only 16 miles from Bodaga Bay, close to Pt. Reyes National Seashore and lighthouse (great place, don't miss it), and Muir Woods National Monument.

Time to create page: 0.401 seconds