Vandenberg Fam Camp ...ughhhh

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #8032 by Blackhawk
:(

First off, I have been to most, if not all, of the military FamCamps. Second, I am a believer in base security -- it is needed. No question there. What this is about is HOW active/retirees are treated at Vandenberg AFB commercial gate in RVs, trailers, etc.

I modified my initial post.

I feel it is best not to post on the net information about base security and procedures. Therefore, deleted most, if not all, of the initial post.

Bottom line, wish retirees were afforded more respect going through the commerical gate.
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Blackhawk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #8034 by carrollg
We've been to Vandyland several times and had some "unusual" encounter's and conflicting instructions with the gates after hours. We were fortunate in two visits thru the commercial gate that the guard entered our MH and just made a quick cursory search.

The AF, like most branches has or had a "Random Vehicle Inspection (RVI)" program dictated by the Base Commander where he disignates in writting that every xx number of vehicles entering requires that x number be thouroughly searched. Could you have been caught up in an R V I ?

None the less, I agree separating us from our property seems a little extreme unless we are on some "watch list" or a current validated threat assessment. :(

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #8035 by Blackhawk
After considering whether base security info should be posted on this page, I decided to modify/delete my initial post and subsequent posts to it.

Bottom line: wish retirees were afforded more respect when entering Vandenberg in their RVs.
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Blackhawk.

More
13 years 4 months ago #8036 by gesuhan
This whole procedure seems very disrespectful, even to the truckers who are just doing their job. Something wrong with the whole picture.

d.bentley

More
13 years 4 months ago #8039 by jdknapper
We also were subjected to the windowless room and found it to be really disconcerting. I didn't like not seeing what they were doing. Guards apologized and told us their orders were to search all commercial trucks and Rvs. Not sure we'll go back and be subject to that kind of search again.

More
12 years 11 months ago #8482 by RVingLady
What a difference! We were there shortly after 9/11. The guard couldn't be bothered to get up and even check for a sticker - new rig, no sticker - he just waved us through!! We were shocked!!!!

Time to create page: 0.406 seconds