Grand Canyon and others?

More
13 years 7 months ago #7687 by GolferIggy
Again, thanks for everyone's valuable input. Got to love the military folks that are always there for advice and suggestions. With your ideas and suggestins, I'm going into this with a solid plan that before was a half baked idea.
Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #7705 by jsummers
Howdy, we're there now, doing it. We're coming South to North however. Started at Pine View (Camp Navajo), then Ft. Tuthill. Excellent. PLs read all reviews on these mil RV parks first. I'd recommend either over the more expensive Williams RV places. My wife and I like to stop centrally & tourist/explore out of 1 location, rather than stay close to any one "destination". We find the MPG in our Chevy Duramax makes up for a little commute to the big destinations. I'd recommend the Grand CAnyon's North Rim over the South also. Here it was necesary to try & get right up on the edge of the "canyon" for me. I'd read about the N. Rim for yrs & I was NOT disappointed. It's in the NP, dry camping and $18 per nite, but this one was worth it. Later we moved up to Glendale, Utah. Central to Zion, Bryce Canyon & Cedar Break NM. (2 days per Nat park required, minimum. The Bauer Canyon Ranch was recommended to me before this trip by another loyal USMil campgrnds user. I apologize for not having the name right now. The Bauers' is a Good Sam RV park and they charge $153 for a week. The Nat Parks, State parks and some BLM camps charge about $18 (as GC N. Rim did) and they are "dry". Bauer's has everything but cable for about $21 per nite. If you're going to Moab for Arches & Canyonlands NP's, I'd recommend OK RV Park in Moab, Ut. Everything (includ cable TV) for the Passport Am rate of $14.50 per nite!! I may never get to use my gennie I prepared for just this trip. From Moab we're headed back South for Edge of the Cedars, Howewneep, Mesa Verde, Goosenecks SP, Gouldings, Navajo NM, Monument Valley and then Kirtland again like at the trip's beginning. If you (or any USMil user) see a white Chevy ext cab or Nash TTrailer w/ Yellow Ak plates, PLS, PLS come banging on my door. Enjoy, enjoy & thnx for your SERVICE.

More
13 years 4 months ago #8006 by Hank85713
Fort tuthill is a very nice place in Flagstaff, guess many dont know about it. Pretty small overall, but you can get some fair sized rv's in it. There are some for tents, tent trailers or very small TT's and only a few pull thru's. Note this all on dirt parking no paved lots!

We visited GC from there last summer and it is close enough to get to some of the others in the area. Day trips are really nice without the TT as we could actually travel thru the canyon and stop and look at the views without it. There were some folks who had the rv's and trailers and took up a lot of the parking areas, same was true when we went through Custer battlefield in Montanna.

Ft Huachuca has a nice RV park also if you are going through SE Arizona. Was really remodeled about 10-12 years ago, pull thru's, paved parking etc, big improvement over what had been the "rv park".

More
12 years 10 months ago #8527 by uz2brt
Replied by uz2brt on topic Re: Grand Canyon and others?
Check for Camp Navaho availabiltiy, fire in that area recently, not sure if it damaged the CG.Another well kept secret!

More
12 years 10 months ago #8536 by dddlin
Replied by dddlin on topic Re: Grand Canyon and others?
Canyon de Chelly in northeast Arizona is very nice and close to Monument Valley. There is a free campground just outside Canyon de Chelly, no hookups but very nice. Leaving Canyon de Chelly, we went to Cortez, CO and Mesa Verde. Lots to see in that area.

More
12 years 10 months ago #8547 by elysium3
We just left visiting the South Rim and North Rim of our beautiful Grand Canyon. Following there we went to Zion Natl Park, then Bryce Canyon. Assure you these sights are most spectacular. Also, consider the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert. We just arrived Hill AFB FamCamp and are headed to Calif to visit Sequoia and points west and north.

Time to create page: 0.434 seconds