Kirtland AFB, Albuquerque

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #7659 by floridakamper
This famcamp does not take reservations and has a 14 day stay limitation. I think it's a fair system. We checked in yesterday. The popular Balloon Festival starts on Oct 2nd. While checking in, the female host, (Kelly) asked me how long I wanted to stay and that would determine where she’d put me. I told her just till Monday and she put me in the new section. I did wonder why my duration of stay, if within their 14 day limit, made a difference. My wife today suggested we stay another day. I stopped by the office and asked about extending one day. The male who was in the office when we checked in and I assumed was Kelly’s husband was there. Right off the bat he was rude. When I told him I was in the new section he said the base commander told them to have that section (40 fifty amp sites) emptied of all guests by September 30th. I asked why it had to be emptied and he became visibly upset, saying he had no idea, he was only a volunteer and he’s tired of people gripping at him. I told him I wasn’t griping, I just asked a question. He never extended my stay, even though I’d be vacating before Sep 30th, and just stormed off. How bout them apples.
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by floridakamper.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #7661 by floridakamper
A fellow camper just told me the reason they are taking 40 camp sites off line during the Balloon Festival is that the base commander has authorized a SMART carravan to come in. I think SMART is a great group but it doesn't make sense to me to use that many sites, during the most sought after event in this area for a private club that recently changed their field of membership to include all veterans, folks who would not normally be allowed to use the campground. Plus SMART charges a minimum of $1250 per RV to attend this event. Just doesn't make sense to this old fart. And I don't even want to be here during the Balloon Festival.

More
13 years 7 months ago #7662 by Mailman01
If reservations are accepted for one, in this case the SMART group, then reservations should be accepted for all. Money has a voice all it's own. Thanks Floridakamper for the info.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago #7667 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Kirtland AFB, Albuquerque
last year we were there bewteen sept 12th thru oct 5th

they told us the same thing last year a SMART caravan had reserved 30 -40 sites in the new section....the new section had what about 100 sites or more plus the old area, its freaking huge...
anyway they were cordial and we never had to move.
30-40 sites there is nothing and they should be more accommodating

well when all was said and done...less then 15 caravaners showed up. and the place looked deserted on that weekend

we had the little older lady that worked there and she was very NICE.
maybe it will help.
did they ever get wifi?????
Attachments:

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #7668 by floridakamper
I think it's a great campground with a few rough edges. The new section has about 40 spots. Ten spots are hard down because of an electrical issue. SMART has 25 spots reserved. I sent a complaint to the base commander and today two people from Outdoor Rec came by to explain their policy. Johnny said even though it is first come first served, no reservations, it is OK and fair for them to reserve 25 sites in the new section because SMART set up a "Custom Tour" with Outdoor Rec to include the use of the campground. I suppose that should explain it to me.....but it doesn't. It made sense to Johnny. I guess if you want to go to the Balloon Festival and stay at Kirtland, you should pay SMART $1200 instead of $18 per night IF you could have gotten one of the camp sites SMART has reserved. And it doesn't just affect the days that SMART has reserved. If you come in 5 days before their reservation starts and want to stay 6 days, they won't/can't put you in the new section because they have to keep it empty for SMART. To answer you're question no WIFI and the whole campground has less than 100 spots.
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by floridakamper.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago #7672 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Kirtland AFB, Albuquerque
did they get rid of the old section?
when we were there the new area was about four rows of 20 or so sites, they had some issues with cave ins when it rained.

and our site settled BAD i had to keep running my jacks up and spreading gravel under them with wide boards

i agree the answer they gave you is BS and is not right...
but the base commander is the law so whatever he says is gospel.
try to go see him or the Sargent major,

we are headed that way this weekend, but will be staying at my sons place

Time to create page: 0.547 seconds