Durango silverton RR and the Road North

More
14 years 11 months ago #5957 by jtm012
Hi All, We are about to take a trip from Flagstaff to Pinedale, WY and were wanting to stop at and ride the Durango Silverton RR. I've got a 38' Airstream Class A and am concerned about the route north from Durango to Ouray, Route 550. My wife is the original white-knuckler on narrow windy mountainous roads. How bad is this one. Do I really need to backtrack and go through Utah? Anyone been there and have a little advice? Thanks jtm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #5958 by Martin64
Google maps has some great winter "street view" of that highway.

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #5959 by monkey44
It's been about ten or more years, but I remember we came into Durango from the north, and it's probably Rte 550 ... and it gave me white-knuckles and I don't usually get bothered by that stuff ... but a great drive and I'd do it again.

It could have been another route, but I don't see any other route on the maps. Hopefully someone else will chime in -- but do take a careful look if steep downside canyons bother you. Because if we did take Rte 550, it's pretty nasty in one long section as I recall.

If you can do a half-hour with passenger "eyes closed" the rest is beautiful. And, as I recall, the north route is on the up-side of the road, not the drop-off side, which is a bit easier to take.
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by monkey44.

Time to create page: 0.454 seconds