Kirtland AFB gates

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #13634 by seadog
Kirtland AFB gates was created by seadog
Hi,

Planning to visit Kirtland next week for the first time and have read that the Eubanks gate is preferable for rv's, but is very narrow. Am a little worried about passing through that gate with a 35ft. Class A that's 102 inches wide not counting mirrors that add about another foot on each side.
Is that gate really dangerously narrow? Is it the best gate to use? Is the Gibson gate better even though you apparently have to have the guard move barriers and it's not a 24hr. gate?
My experience is the gate guards are sometimes reluctant to move barriers, so I'm leaning toward using the Eubanks gate if it's not too absurdly tight to get a large motorhome through.
Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #13636 by johnandmari
Replied by johnandmari on topic Kirtland AFB gates
Seadog - We just left Kirtland last Saturday – we entered by way of the Eubanks gate, and departed by way of the Gibson gate. The barriers at the Eubanks gate are non-movable and while they are narrow, are sufficiently wide enough to not be a hazard. City buses pas through without any problems. I do recommend driving through them carefully as they are non-forgiving! The barriers at the Gibson gate are not really that close together. I have a 42 foot MH and tow a car. No problem with either gate.
Enjoy your stay.
John

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #13637 by seadog
Replied by seadog on topic Kirtland AFB gates
Hi John,
Thanks for the info on the Kirtland gates. Guess we'll try the Eubanks gate(carefully!) per your advice since I think it's nearest to the FamCamp.
You stated the Gibson gate barriers aren't really an issue either, so my impression is I could get through the Gibson gate WITHOUT having to have the gate guard move any of the barriers....is that correct? Overal, do you recommend one gate over the other for ingress/egress?

Thanks, Jim

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #13640 by johnandmari
Replied by johnandmari on topic Kirtland AFB gates
Seadog - The Eubanks gate is the gate of choice, due to its close proximity to the FamCamp. The gate is sufficiently wide enough to allow large vehicles to pass. I believe some folks make too much of the narrowness of the gate(s) at KAFB. The general concern seems to be the placement of the restricting barriers, which are essentially steel girders, sunk in concrete (Eubanks gate) and movable and staggered cones at the Gibson gate. The Eubanks barriers are sufficiently separated to allow large vehicle access; we have used the KAFB FamCamp numerous times over the years and I am unaware of anyone ever crunching their RV. The reason many folks use the Gibson gate is due to the service station located just inside that gate; diesel, as well as gas are available and access in/out of the station is quite easy. You should not have any problems entering/exiting KAFB.

Again, enjoy your stay!

John

More
9 years 1 week ago #13663 by seadog
Replied by seadog on topic Kirtland AFB gates
Thanks, John, appreciate the input. Good to know too that the gas station is large enough to get fuel.
Jim

Time to create page: 0.480 seconds