driving thru L.A.

More
16 years 10 months ago #1059 by ralexis
driving thru L.A. was created by ralexis
We plan to visit Port Huene FamCamp and take in the Rose Parade Jan 1st. After looking over the city map and hearing the horror stories about the L.A. freeways, we are kinda concerned about the best route. We will be traveling via I-10 but have no clue what's the easiest once inside the city. We do have Tom-Tom for heads-up but it doesn't always choose the easy way. I can program it for selected routes after I know what I want to take. Suggestions please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 10 months ago #1063 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: Driving thru L.A.
Haven't lived in L.A. for about 25 years -- but my recommendation is stay away from Rt 101 and Rt 134 in the SF Valley ... if you're coming from Ventura, then head south on Rt 101 and check your maps for the best way to pick-up Rt 118 in Simi Valley and then head across the north end of the San Fernando Valley heading south (or could be west??) -- then pick up Rt 210 into Pasadena ... that will drop you near the beginning of the Rose Parade.

I'd get there the night before and spend the night on the parade route -- otherwise, you'll never get near it. Probably others here that might be more "current" ...

More
16 years 10 months ago #1068 by ralexis
Replied by ralexis on topic Re: Driving thru L.A.
We will be camping at Port Hueneme and will take a tour bus to the parade. We're just concerned about getting through L.A. to Port Hueneme.

More
16 years 10 months ago #1069 by monkey44
Okay -- that's a little different -- if you're coming accross on I-10 -- just stay north and east of the SF Valley -- you can pick up Rte 138 off the I-10 and go through Palmdale, then pick up Rte 14 into Simi Valley and then Rte 118 will take you to the coast -- that will take you around the traffic that surrounds LA and the Valley ... that will then take you up through Simi Valley and on over to Hueneme --

Another way, more traffic but all highway-- take the I-10 to the I-210 around Pasadena, then Rte 118 to the coast Rte 101 above SF Valley.

Word of caution -- even if you take this route, do not do it during rush hours ...

More
16 years 10 months ago #1080 by monkey44
One more comment -- pay attentions to this is you like food ;D ;D

There was a restaurant in a town called Ohai, close to Hueneme -- The Ranch House ... served meals according to a schedule, that is, had timed seatings -- not simply walk in and sit. Anyway, we'd get a group together and drive up, did it a number of times when I lived in the Valley ... It's set on an old farm, and they grow their own spices and herbs, and other veggies as well. You sit in an outdoorsy type atmosphere surrounded by the "growing gardens" -- and the food absolutely tickles your tongue -- not inexpensive, but if you find it and it's still there, you'll eat a meal you'll never forget.

More
16 years 9 months ago #1398 by esbrush
Replied by esbrush on topic Re: Driving thru L.A.
We ony drive through LA with our rig on a Sunday morning before there's any traffic, ie 0700.

Time to create page: 0.433 seconds