MacDill AFB FAM CAMPS

More
15 years 4 months ago #5221 by endalby
Has anyone stayed at, or is currently staying at, the FAMCAMP on MacDill AFB, FL? I am looking at driving my RV down there and wondering if it is worth staying there or finding something else in the Tampa/Clearwater area. I would arrive around 28 Jan 09 and stay for 3 or 4 nights.

Thanks - Eric

2008 F350 DSL, DRW, 4WD
2007 Lance 1131
1 wife, 2 kids, and a dog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #5225 by morscuba
Replied by morscuba on topic Re: MacDill AFB FAM CAMPS
Hey Eric
I'm here right now...Your gonna get a lotta negative comments about Macdill but it's not to bad.. You will probably have to start off in dry camping for a couple of days then move to partial (no sewer) then on to a full.. I just stay in partial(s) and blueboy it to the dump. I have yet to see the favoritizm that everyone refers too and I've been looking.. This will be my 4th year here in and out of the park..Yep I'd say its worht it..
PS
Its gonna be real busy around that time SUPER BOWL week
Travel Safe

More
15 years 3 months ago #5284 by Barneys
Replied by Barneys on topic Re: MacDill AFB FAM CAMPS

Hey Eric
I'm here right now...Your gonna get a lotta negative comments about Macdill but it's not to bad.. You will probably have to start off in dry camping for a couple of days then move to partial (no sewer) then on to a full.. I just stay in partial(s) and blueboy it to the dump. I have yet to see the favoritizm that everyone refers too and I've been looking.. This will be my 4th year here in and out of the park..Yep I'd say its worht it..
PS
Its gonna be real busy around that time SUPER BOWL week
Travel Safe

I also am at MacDill at the present time and am in the partial hook up area. I agree with the above post in that I have not seen any favortism in my 7 years of coming here. You arrive, usually go to the field for dry camp for a few days, move to partial where you can stay up to two weeks (with an additional two week extension in lieu of moving to full hookup for two weeks.) This is what we have done and it works out well. If you are coming for only a few days, you will most likely spend it in the dry camp area, especially since that is around the Super Bowl time which is being played in Tampa just a few miles north of the base.

As to whether it is worth it, MacDill is on some prime real estate and is an easy drive to many attractions in this area including St.Petersburg, downtown Tampa with it's great aquarium and museums, Busch Gardens, flea markets, fishing, boating etc. I am sure you would find much to do to entertain yourself here including just relaxing on the beach!

Morescuba, what site are you in? We are in 332 along the canal near the end.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here

More
15 years 3 months ago #5468 by CapeCodBob
I believe the"Favoritism" people refer to is that you can reserve for the season ,however you may have to wait for a year until your name moves up the list. Most people that go there this time of year will be leaving by mid March and at that point overflow empties out. They also have an annex that has spacious sites but not near the beach. You can rent boats at the marina very inexspensive and Tampa Bay is huge place to boat in.
They also have a great golf course that you can utilize after hours before dark and pay on the honer system.

Huge mall on base. Long drive from gate to CG.2miles.
Absolutely beautiful base.

BUY AMERICAN KEEP AMERICANS WORKING

Time to create page: 0.399 seconds