Paris Island MCRD camping?

More
17 years 1 month ago #321 by sdianel
Anyone have any suggestions about where to RV camp near Paris Island MCRD Beaufort, SC? Can't find any military campgrounds nearby or any Corps of Engineers Parks within driving distance. We stayed at Hunting Island State Park once, but narrow bridge and too many trees. Any place on base to dry camp? We have a 33' motorhome with 2 slides. Semper Fi. Thanks LonHo!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago #322 by fiatspider79
Before 2001 they would let you dry camp on Scout Island or out by the Rod and Gun Club but now there is no place on the island where you can spend the night. We cheated once, got a room at the Osprey Inn, ignored the room and parked in the Osprey Inn parking lot--expensive but worth it to see someone graduate and not have to drive 50 miles from an off-depot campground.
I have been trying to track down rumors of an unofficial campground at MCAS Beaufort and will give it another shot this spring when we make out trip to PI to watch a graduation.
Glenn

More
17 years 1 month ago #324 by Joel
Replied by Joel on topic Re: Paris Island MCRD camping?
It's been a long time so forgive me if it's not there anymore however, when I was a Hat/DI at PI there was a trailer park just outside the gate to the left that took in RV's when families came for graduation. Also, if I remember correctly there was a private owned trialer/RV park on the back road to Laurel Bay housing area. I also remember a boat launching area on the sound within the Laurel Bay housing area that visitors would park and dry camp in their RV. I don't know if it was approved or not but I had family do this and nothing was said. If I were going to PI I would start by checking with the Housing office. ;)
Just a suggestion. If you do check it out, let us know the outcome.
Good luck!

More
17 years 1 month ago #335 by fiatspider79
First Sergeant,

We've been stopping to visit and take in a graduation about once a year for the last decade. I also run a Yahoo group for parents and friends of Recruits ( groups.yahoo.com/group/mymarine/ ) who are all seeking a place to stay at one of the MCRDs. So far we have not been able to find the private park you suggest and that I also remember and the MPs regularly kick people off the abandoned trailer park and anywhere else that we try to hide.

We are going again in the spring and will give it another try. Sure would be nice if there was something there for the visitors to use. I should have more time this year and may be able to make some more inquiries.

For now I feel confident stating that there is no place on the depot that you can park overnight.
Semper Fi,
Glenn

More
17 years 1 month ago #353 by rbrayman
Try Hunting Island State Park...great place right on the Atlantic Ocean. Make your reservations early.

Go to: www.southcarolinaparks.com/

More
17 years 1 month ago #531 by sdianel
thanks for the help. We did stay once at Hunting Island SP and you're right, it's beautiful. Just a narrow bridge to get there and only a few spots for large motorhomes. We'll keep it in mind. Sure wish they would put in a few hookups.

LonHo & Diane Livingston
Vietnam Veteran 3rd Mar Div
1st Amtrac BN, Co B, 4th Plt.
'04 Country Coach Allure 33'
Towing 03 Ford Focus 5 spd "4 down"
Semper Fi

Time to create page: 0.482 seconds