Sigsbee and Trumbo

More
16 years 6 months ago #2033 by cheldreth
Sigsbee and Trumbo was created by cheldreth
I retired a little over a week ago for the second or third time depending on how you count it. We are experienced RVers and are at Smith Lake at Fort Bragg and are now full-timing after living in the driveway and getting our home rented out.

Next week we will start in the direction of Key West and need some general information about Sigsbee and Trumbo. I understand that you rotate in and out of Sigsbee, but I am not clear about Trumbo. What services are at Trumbo (i.e. water, electricity, dumpstation, restrooms and showers)? Can you run your generator? What are the restrictions on that?

I guess I am looking for guidance on what to expect when we get to Key West.

Thanks in advance,

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #2034 by oldchief46
Replied by oldchief46 on topic Re: Sigsbee and Trumbo
When you get to Key West you'll need to go to Sigbee to check in. You'll have a choice of Sigbee or Trumbo, depending on availability of space. Trumbo has no hookups, strictly dry camping. They do have laundry facilities.

Depending on how full Sigbee is you may get hookups. They have some FHU and have a two week limit on them, unless you go in the summer when the park is empty. When you go in you can go on a waiting list for FHU and dry camp until your turn comes up. Also, Sigbee has two campgrounds. The older one is dry camp only. The newer one, where FHU's are, is our preference. It has paved streets and the sights are not as close together. Actually, the newer one is where a base housing area was so the streets were already in place.

The older section at Sigbee and the CG at Trumbo did not look very appealing to me. Lots of long term units and a lot of clutter. At least that was the way it looked this past March when we were there. Also, Trumbo does not have any base facilities. The Commissary and ITT Office are at Sigbee.

Have fun, you'll enjoy Key West.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
16 years 5 months ago #2150 by Flooziecop
Replied by Flooziecop on topic Re: Sigsbee and Trumbo
We lived at Sigbee as full timers in 2002 and 2003 before we went to England for 3 years. Of course that was before Katrina. We heard that there was some storm damage on the base, but hopefully it has all been taken care of by now. We very seldom had to move during the months of April through October as there were plenty of full hookups available. But when the snowbirds come down, you do have to rotate after 2 weeks. We did not feel that there was any real big inconvience with this. We usually were able to rotate back into hookups within 3 weeks. But if you don't want to move, you can dry camp at Trumbo during the winter months and stay at one site. There are bath facilities there and a dump station. You would be amazed at how many people choose to do just that. Key West is a great place to be, we enjoyed our stay and will definitely go back. There is always something to do. And if you have a tee shirt and flip flops in your wardrobe, you're dressed to go anywhere.
Have fun.
Floozie

Time to create page: 0.377 seconds