MacDill, Raccoon Creek

More
6 years 5 months ago #16356 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic MacDill, Raccoon Creek
No distress here ? We thought you brought it up to get info about MacDill ... and so we gave you info.

True enough, lots of great Military CGs out there - MacDill just isn't one of them, and hasn't been for years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swim-bike-run-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #16358 by JJnLilly
Replied by JJnLilly on topic MacDill, Raccoon Creek
Have known your feeling about MacDill for a long time Monkey and was just seeking information on the current status.

Not everyone has the same tastes so glad there more than one item on the menu.

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #16360 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic MacDill, Raccoon Creek
I camped often at MacDill for years, and really like the campground itself. Was there last spring shopping at the commissary, and it hasn't changed much ... if it ever does, I'll start camping there again. It's a very nice CG, just not managed very well. Could easily become a high destination campground for AD and retired - but not if you can't get a site during the winter months ...
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by monkey44.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16451 by Swim-bike-run-1
They're gonna make a MWR owned cabins for rent community where dry camp was is the plan...

Backstory why...

When the new macdill inn/conference center opened and the old one closed it had a huge problem which was seemingly engineered into the new conference center or conveniently not adressed LOL!!!!

That underthought issue was....since the new Macdill inn/conference center is more a top brass hangout & especially for foreign service officers its restricted to minors, as in from allowing minors on the conference center property (not really an Air Force inn as we know them, it's more spashy business/conference center so there is a kid ban altogether not just from spending the nite and the old Macdill inn was closed so there became a shortage of options where to billet families on Macdill...unless you had an RV your options were renting a MWR trailer spotted on a pad (which was really affordable and a value) but limited supply often meant weekend/holidays were booked by active duty who has priority))
or you could buy a tent and tent camp?

Also, base commander was made a fool last year when the drama at macdill campground went overload stupid...its said the Air Force not her wanted to decrease the size of Macdill campground so as to see if it could be managed better and not topic of dysfunction...
IMO Macdill campground needs top down management change with no returning employees who made it so corrupt, unethical and just plain sleezy and creepy...
I had a prepaid reservation for this season (paid 11-1-2016) but I canceled last summer after I'd had enough of the dysfunction at macdill famcamp last winter and went home to key west...

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #16452 by Swim-bike-run-1

monkey44 wrote: I camped often at MacDill for years, and really like the campground itself. Was there last spring shopping at the commissary, and it hasn't changed much ... if it ever does, I'll start camping there again. It's a very nice CG, just not managed very well. Could easily become a high destination campground for AD and retired - but not if you can't get a site during the winter months ...

So true!!!
Last winter they started the work shoring up the creek and that side too bad they don't add 200 pads back there with hookups and septic as macdill would stay sold out if they'd do non rotating seasonal reservations...

This year the reservation pads are all booked and it's two weeks on limited designated rotation pad which are first come first serve...
I can see people sleeping in front of the camp office in their lawn chairs like we did waiting to by concert tickets back in the day, all those people in Macdill famcamp office line hoping to secure a pad and not have to leave Macdill scrambling for a place to park their rolling roadblocks if they're not lucky enough to score a pad...

Security forces are gonna be busy running those who try to boondocks on base off base...
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Swim-bike-run-1.

Time to create page: 0.378 seconds