Menphis, TN

More
17 years 3 months ago #127 by fiatspider79
Menphis, TN was created by fiatspider79
I am making my Hadj to Graceland next month and am considering camping at the Mid-South Naval Support Activity but there are two campgrounds. One is Midway RV Park and the other is Navy Lake Recreation Area.

Which one do I choose? Is there another option?

Anybody in Memphis have a 35' driveway and an extension cord? Just joking.

Sure would appreciate any advice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 months ago #128 by Joel
Replied by Joel on topic Re: Menphis, TN
Glenn
One of the CG is located on the north side of the base at Navy Lake. The Navy Lake CG is old, small and in need of repairs. The other CG is on the south side of the base just behind the Commisary. This CG is only a couple of years old. It is set up with concrete pads, 30/50 amp elec. service (FHU) and is in very good shape. I highly recommend the South side. The North side and South side of the base is split by Navy Road. If you go the the south side you want to enter the back gate just off of Paul Barret Pkwy which runs stright into I-40. If you go to the North side you can still take I-40 to the Paul Barret Pkwy exit and run Paul Barret Pkwy to Hwy 51, turn right and go to Navy Road, Turn right and go to the base.
I have the driveway and the extention cord :) however I am located to the East of NSA Millington near Jackson, TN
If I can be of further assistance I will be glad to.

More
17 years 1 month ago #292 by jsummers
Replied by jsummers on topic Re: Menphis, TN
I just left Navy Lake & found it to be better than the "Midway"RV park on base. The new one on base may be better for your size RV but it looks & feels just like a Wal-Mart park lot to me. Good luck

More
17 years 1 month ago #307 by fiatspider79
Replied by fiatspider79 on topic Re: Menphis, TN
After all of this great response and help we have had to change our plans and ended up in Gulfport MS, leaving tomorrow for Tyndall AFB, FL. We hope to get back to Memphis in the late summer.
Glenn

More
17 years 1 month ago #313 by johnandmari
Replied by johnandmari on topic Re: Menphis, TN
Jim - Let me begin by telling you that while I respect your opinion regarding Midway and Navy Lake (you were there after all), I must disagree with you about the two locations.

Navy Lake is an old and rustic facility, with small (outdated) RV sites and in serious need of money for essential repairs. We were at Midway early October 2006 for ten days and I posted an evaluation on the old forum praising this great addition to the FamCamp system - the FamCamp only opened in early May 2006 and is not yet completely finished. The RV sites are HUGH by anyone's standard. All 48 sites are located in cul-de-sacs situated on either side of Navy Road; all sites have concrete pads, are back in and are all full hook-ups with 30/50 amp service. All sites are separated by well maintained grassy areas. The Facility is hosted by a great husband/wife team (retired Navy), who make it a point to introduce themselves to each new arrival as soon as practical. Is the facility without faults - of course not! Several of the concrete pads are severely damaged due to use by the base of unskilled labor to complete the concrete work. Of the 48 total sites, five are occupied by 31' trailers (soon to be 12 total trailers) for use by active duty-TDY personnel; the building to house the laundry/showers occupies another two sites, thus reducing the available RV sites to 34 (one of which is occupied by the CG host). As pointed out by Joel, large trees completely surround the RV Park, thus blocking satellite reception for those assigned sites along the back and western side of the park. Im certain the Navy Lake facility probably does provide an enjoyable RV experience to some, but comparing the Midway FamCamp to a Walmart parking lot does this very nice facility a serious disservice.

John & Maria and Tucky, an American Eskimo
2003 Newmar DSDP - 4050

On the road April 4th, 2005 8) Free at last!
Location: Somewhere in North America! (Currently: Yuma, AZ - Sunny & Warm!)
"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans."
John Lennon

Time to create page: 0.501 seconds