The Alamo

More
10 years 8 months ago #11968 by Garmp
The Alamo was created by Garmp
The wife & I want to see the Alamo and the River Walk and are thinking of staying at FT Sam. We drive a B, but aren't sure about downtown San Antonio and the parking. Is there a shuttle service or other conveyance available? Or where's the best parking for a camper. And or would another military camp be a better choice? Totally in the dark here and would like some advice. Our goal is to camp as near and/or as convenient to the Alamo area as possible, pack-up early, hit the sights, so to speak, have a nice lunch and then head for the coast (somewhere - yet to be determined), heading no more west than Corpus Christi, working our way from there east via New Orleans, maybe, to Gulf Shores AL, then up 55 home.
Thanks for any and all advice and help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #11969 by LamSan
Replied by LamSan on topic The Alamo
Has been about 5 years since we were there but Ft. Sam Houston RV park is a convenient location for you to drive to the Alamo and The Riverwalk. I do not recall a shuttle but there are many city parking lots throughout downtown that make it very convenient to walk to restaurants and shops. If your Class B has a handicap plate you will not have to pay in the city parking lots. Really good Mexican restaurants and the Tortilla Soup is the best we have ever eaten, have not been able to find any that compares to it anywhere we go. Now as you head into New Orleans if you plan on stopping there go to Aviation Arbor RV Park at the New Orleans Joint Reserve Base/NAS in Belle Chasse, it is across the river but still a very convenient location to do the downtown fun stuff. Have fun and wear that sunscreen!

More
10 years 8 months ago #12016 by Rsnook
Replied by Rsnook on topic The Alamo
There is no shuttle and parking downtown can be a real PITA. However, there is a city bus that runs straight downtown, you can pick it up at Ft Sam Houston and for me, it dropped me off at the Davy Crockett Hotel, just about one block from Alamo Plaza, I can not tell you the bus number, but if I remember right,, I did not pay anything for the bus ride, just showed my ID Card.

More
10 years 8 months ago #12030 by skyking8
Replied by skyking8 on topic The Alamo
I have just finished planning and confirming a military reunion event in San Antonio. I also live about 2 hours away and have been there several times. When I attend the event, I will be staying at Traveler's World RV Resort. It is about three miles from downtown and a city bus runs by the CG every half hour. Once you are in the Riverwalk area you can jump on a Trolley and traverse the area as you wish. There is no reason to take the RV into town. The Resort offers a 50% discount to military AD and retirees Sunday - Thursday. Other discounts honored include Good Sam, AAA, etc.

I would suggest that you build in a full day for San Antonio. There is lots to do and see. The all exclusive Alamo Battlefield Tour is the only way to visit the Alamo. If you are doing the Riverwalk then the narrated boat cruise is an hour long and about $6 with military discount. Take the trolley to Market Square and do Mi Terra for Tex-Mex food. You won't be disappointed there.

With Larry's permission I will add a shameless plug for my military fraternal organization: www.chpa-us.org

More
10 years 6 months ago #12253 by chucklaura
Replied by chucklaura on topic The Alamo
Fort Sam is a great stop for the Alamo. We have found ample parking just a bit away from the hub, particularly if you don't mind walking a few blocks.

Time to create page: 0.508 seconds