Free WIFI Coming to Onslow Beach at Camp Lejeune

More
14 years 9 months ago #6320 by cheldreth
We are expecting free WIFI to be installed at Onslow Beach at any time. The project was supposed to have been completed by the end of July so we expect to see it very soon.

It will cover the entire 3-mile beach area and will include the RV Park, cabanas, lodges, modulars, senior officer/NCO lodging, sea shells and beach front pavilions.

We currently have modems for rent for high speed cable connections which will probably no longer be needed once the project is completed. Approximately 60 channels of cable tv are available at no charge in the lodging and that will not change.

Cell service can be sort of spotty at the beach depending on your provider. So air cards are unpredictable here.

I hope that you find this to be good news.

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #6404 by DoggyDaddy
That is great considering the "Admiral Baker Field Campground" at the San Diego
Naval Station makes Wi-Fi available for $9/hr, $30/wk, or $49/mo. and has
Poor reception is parts of the park.
Fiddler's Cove RV Park at the Coronado Naval Base in San Diego makes Wi-Fi
available for $4 an hour. Dial-up also available for $1 per 30 minute use.

Joe Kleinsmith & Ultra (Eng Bull Terrier)
SFC, USArmy Retired
Full Timer (Winter in Palm Springs, CA)
08 Class A Outlaw 37" w/Ultra Classic HD & Golf Cart inside with Nissan Frontier toad.

More
14 years 8 months ago #6405 by cheldreth
We are still waiting on it here at Camp Lejeune. I do know that they actively working on it. You know how things work in these circumstances.

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

More
14 years 8 months ago #6450 by cheldreth
The installation work on wifi at Onslow Beach is largely completed and the system is being tested and tweaked. I was on it last night and it was blazing fast. It will be up and down over the next day or so as the finishing touches are done.

It is free and available in all areas of the Onslow Beach:
Officer, SDNCO and Enlisted Pavilions on the beach, all lodges, cabanas, trailers and modulars and everywhere in the rv park.

This is very nice addition to our recreation center. We have also opened a small dog park in the rv park.

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 8 months ago #6477 by a Guest
I was there a couple months ago and they had the dog park then. It was a real mess. All overgrown, etc. Maybe it was still in the construction phase.
Are the rates going up now that the "free wifi" is in place?
Frank

More
14 years 8 months ago #6479 by cheldreth
Frank:

Thanks for your feedback. I am sorry that the dog park was a disappointment for you.

A little background: Several people who visit Onslow quite often and I approached the manager about building a dog park. It took us quite a while to get a go ahead to do it.

Most of the work was done by volunteers working on it part time. MCCS did buy the materials. It was quite an effort just clearing the jungle where we put the park.

I maintain the dog park as a courtesy to our guests, empty the trash and replace the poop bags in the dispenser. It is not a part of my official duties but I like to help out where I can. As we have more dogs using the park, I am sure that their use will keep much of the vegetation down.

I can report that the park is being heavily used. 400 disposable bags have used so far. Some of these have been used in the dog park and some have been used by people walking their dogs in the campground outside of the dog park. The dog park (such as it is) has kept the campground largely without dog waste. You still have a person who still believes that others are responsible for his/her mess.

I know of no efforts to raise rates. The management here prides itself in giving our guests the best experience possible at the lowest possible rates. Just in the last two years we have erected six very nice three bedroom modulars with an ocean view. Two more have just arrived and will be put in place shortly. That means that more than half of the old mobile homes have been replaced with very modulars with new furniture and appliances including big flat screen tvs.

So the wifi is just another thing that MCCS decided was right to have at Onslow.

All of this was done without considering raising rates.

Stop by and see me the next time you are here.

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds